Ocean massacre

*** This is a trip report I thought I'd share from spearboard that I posted on 4-9-15. Enjoy!

Jeff and I took our chances at Tolovana this past Thursday. Conditions seemed to be better than expected. Magicseaweed was saying it was going to be a 3-4ft surf day but it was quite a bit under that. The waves were pretty much lapping the beach. We hit the water at about 9:30am to ride out low slack which was at 11:15am. The temp was right around 53 degrees and viz was in the 12ft range. We started off a little farther back from the rock than I've typically done in the past. To my surprise there wasn't a bunch of kelp to anchor up on. Does anyone know if kelp is a seasonal thing? Anyway, I saw 4 large cabezons (which aren't in the video) and one even appeared to be mostly white. It was strange to me because I've rarely seen them. Maybe that's why they're out of season right now .

Early into our adventure Jeff got a bit sea sick and was chumming the water for me while I helped shoot his limit of fish . We eventually moved closer to the rock and the massacre ensued. The blacks were thick and I had no trouble finding lings either. It was a good day.

Last edited:

Chromatose

Yes, I'm still using the old Hero2 though. I need an upgrade.
Need to do the upgrade myself. My 2 has taken the beatin and still keeps taken good Videos/Photos...Nic named Timex.
Maybe Santa will take pity................Still, nice Shooting just the same.

sapo

How close to shore are you? Are you like really far out with a boat? Or are those possible to get caught from the surf?

DrTheopolis

Mike, you are a Wildman. Looks like some quick limits.

How close to shore are you? Are you like really far out with a boat? Or are those possible to get caught from the surf?
Rockfish don't really live in the surf. But you can get seabass from the jetty (and maybe even a ling, at the right time of year).

Sapo, I was about a half mile of the shore. I used my kayak to get out to where I needed to be :). But DrTheopolis is right, you can dive right off most jetties and get into blacks and even some lings.

DrTheopolis

you can dive right off most jetties and get into blacks and even some lings.

And to clarify, you can cast for them, as well. OFF the jetties, there's lots of blacks, and the other rockfish, the name of which I forget, that me and my buddies referred to as "swirly bass," since they have kind of a brown swirly pattern -- the rockfish all pretty much taste the same (and check the regs for what you can and can't keep, there's some funky regs on certain rockfish).

Tough to filet, but tasty, tasty fish. Great fish and chips.

But I can just about guarantee that if you go jetty fishing, your video won't be anywhere near as cool as Mike's.