Ocean has been very nice

rogerdodger

Most Featured
you guys are killing it, ODFW catch data has shown steadily lower catch rates all along the coast since mid-July...nice job.

Irishrover

Most Featured
We have been lucky, both with the ocean and the catch rate. We had four clipped fish and only one unclipped fish yesterday, that is luck.

Irishrover

Most Featured
Fished off Newport yesterday. The sky was full of sunshine and their was just a nominal amount of wind. There was enough ocean motion to make the day interesting. We landed 7 fish 3 clipped and 4 non clipped again all on the pink hoochie. The difference was yesterday we used prawn tails on the hoochie instead of herring chunks. Green label herring used to come 12 in a pack and cost a couple of bucks. Now they are $8 and come 10 in a pack. (at the South Beach Marina store). Being a cheap skate, I am always looking for deals. While we were shopping in Thriftway I saw a large package of cooked prawns for $3.39. I thought why not and bought them for bait. They were awesome. I pealed the head off and used the tail ends on the first hook of the hoochie. It worked well besides the fish that made it to the boat we lost a few. I have also used calamari from Winco. Who need herring?

Irishrover

Most Featured
First day of the non select season was kind to us. 2 clipped and 2 non clipped fish. Again pink hoocies but a bit deeper today 35 on the line counter. Fished 250 fow. Pictures later.

Irishrover

Most Featured
Yesterday the ocean was a wee bit stingy with her fish. It was a long day for a lot of boats with few fish to show for the effort. We go two and lost one at the boat.

Losing fish right at the boat happens with barbless hooks and very active coho. Try as you might to control the head of a coho who decides to go crazy when the net comes out, can be hard. Once they start the head shaking action, it isn't long before they spit the hooks. It's all part of fishing and certainly makes the last few seconds exciting.

Now we have a four day shut down and start back up on Fri/Sat/Sun. After that ODF&W will figure out if there is any quota left.

GaryP1958

The fish are in the river way past Cushman follow the colder incoming water today 59f was the ticket!

GaryP1958

Certainly not you just Roger being pissed OFF for pedaling 6 miles with no fish and being mad someone actually made a report!

for ads free experience.

Top Bottom