Ocean fishing

G
gkrupp
Was wondering if anyone on the board does or knows anyone who has fished off the coast on a jetski..I have rigged mine up for fishing(and it works great!) but have never taken it offshore...but would love to try it. thanks

R
rippin fish lips
gkrupp said:
Was wondering if anyone on the board does or knows anyone who has fished off the coast on a jetski..I have rigged mine up for fishing(and it works great!) but have never taken it offshore...but would love to try it. thanks

If you can catch it on a super flat calm day you could do it.... scketchy with windwaves and ocean waves and breakers.... I know a dude that paddles out to the ocean on his paddle bored with 3 crab pots and limits every time on ruff days... so you could probably get away with it. I imagine it would be tricky....

Irishrover
Irishrover
On a couple of occasions I have seen a jet ski fishing out of Newport. I don't know much about those machines but it was a large one. The driver on both trips was wearing a wet suit. We were fishing about 8 miles off shore in soft but not smooth seas. It's not something I would consider doing. I thought he at least ought to have a fellow jet ski guy with him.

C
chrisohm
My only suggestion is to use this site:

Pacific North West - Surf Charts - Magicseaweed.com

And only go out if the swells are 1-4ft and the wind is under 10mph. I have never tried it personally but I have watched videos of people going after huge fish with a jet ski.

T
Tacomasteelheader
better have a bilge pump on that jet ski !!

T
Tinker
Not sure why anyone would want to take one fo those noisey and aggravating things out to sea, but the one I saw in California was modified with a second gas tank and the guy had on a wet suit. He said that even in calm seas, range was his greatest concern.

bass
bass
gkrupp said:

I know a guy who fishes from a jetski and is wanting to try to fish the ocean. He was looking for a boat buddy. That seemed like a good idea in case you had an issue.

G
gkrupp
Thanks....mine is a larger one as well(12ft)..I have had it on some pretty rough water on the columbia and it has taken it like a champ..I was looking for someone who might want to try this, as I dont want to go out alone.. Tinker, I dont think they are any worse than some of the boats I see running around out there, but I do agree that the way some people ride them, they are aggravating...but mine is made for fishing, not aggravating!! LOL

T
Tacomasteelheader
I want to take my stand up out there that would b fun