ocean bounty

C

cope

here is a bounty of perch and a few sea trout me and my old man slayd last sunday.

i couldent of asked for a better day to take my dad fishin it was pure action the hole time. everytime i looked up he was laughin with his pole bent over "got another one" man did it make his day:D

366035880.jpg

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Welcome

Welcome

cope;
Welcome to our fishing family. Nice way to start,we love good reports and pictures are always a bonus. Thanks for sharing. I'm guessing Lincoln City..?
Be safe.
Barb

C

cope

we got these at barview jetty i try and go ocean fishing every weekend if not i atleast hit a river or lake but ocean is my favorite

T

Troutier Bassier

we got these at barview jetty i try and go ocean fishing every weekend if not i atleast hit a river or lake but ocean is my favorite

Welcome Cope,
I have only been ocean fihing 1 time with no luck. I was at the south newport jetty fishing with a Storm Jig. No luck. Though I saw some guys fishing for salmon and hooked a nice one.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Family tradition....

Family tradition....

Good to hear about you and your dad have a great day together. My favorite fishing buddy is my son. Nothing beats a family fishing tradition.
I haven't gotten over to the coast in soooo long. I have zero experience ocean fishing. Boat or jetty would be awesome after my head quit spinning. Some people are afraid of snakes,I'm afraid of water. I would probably feel better if I could swim instead of sinking like a big boulder. I own a 22' Glaspar,10' row boat and an 8' pontoon. I love being ON the water,just not IN the water. After all, isn't that where the fish belong? :lol:
Be safe.
Barb

C

cope

Troutier Bassier i have never used a jig while fishing off shore i allways use shrimp or mussles if someting is there they will bit on it.

Raincatcher i know what u mean im working on getting a zodiac than the real ocean fishing will begin should have one in acouple month's than its to my hometown of pacific city

C

Chief Jim

Lincoln Beach, Oregon (2 miles north of Depoe Bay
Good to hear about you and your dad have a great day together. My favorite fishing buddy is my son. Nothing beats a family fishing tradition.
I haven't gotten over to the coast in soooo long. I have zero experience ocean fishing. Boat or jetty would be awesome after my head quit spinning. Some people are afraid of snakes,I'm afraid of water. I would probably feel better if I could swim instead of sinking like a big boulder. I own a 22' Glaspar,10' row boat and an 8' pontoon. I love being ON the water,just not IN the water. After all, isn't that where the fish belong? :lol:
Be safe.
Barb

Barb, I'm a retired Navy Chief (Photographic Interpreter) with 22 years of naval service and 10 years of sea duty--and I still don't swim! I'm also about 3 days older than salt water and 2 days older than sand so I'm not as nimble as I used to be. All this means I'm real careful and move a little cautiously when I'm fishing off the rocks or on a steep bank. Last week I got myself stuck on a mudflat while digging clams! This getting old ain't for wimps!
Da Chief

C

cope

chief jim i was using sand-shrimp i like to pump my own cause it's free of course but mainly cause i dont like huge shrimp i like medium one's so i can put the hole shimp on the hook.

i also use mussles mix it up a bit u know. my trick is to tie it on with magic thead so than it stays on till u get a bit

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Welcome aboard,Chief

Welcome aboard,Chief

Barb, I'm a retired Navy Chief (Photographic Interpreter) with 22 years of naval service and 10 years of sea duty--and I still don't swim! I'm also about 3 days older than salt water and 2 days older than sand so I'm not as nimble as I used to be. All this means I'm real careful and move a little cautiously when I'm fishing off the rocks or on a steep bank. Last week I got myself stuck on a mudflat while digging clams! This getting old ain't for wimps!
Da Chief

Chief Jim;
Welcome aboard! I do understand about getting old. My Momma warned me about our body/life warranties running out after the age of 50. :think: Right now 50 seems soooo young. :rolleyes: Darn good thing we aren't wimps,huh?!:lol:
Again,welcome, we are glad to have another honored member. Let me be the first to thank you for your years of service to our country. It is your and the other service members of every branch that allows us to live so freely. Thank you.
Be safe.
Barb

C

Chief Jim

Surf Perch

Surf Perch

Thanks for the info, Cope. The thread idea is a good one. I used to use thread to hold sand shrimp and clam necks on the hook better when I was fishing the surf and jetties in California. I had forgotten that. I'm also going to try and find some sand (mole) crabs here around Lincoln City. Surf perch think sand crabs are the next best thing to candy!
BTW, I was fishing off the rocks Sunday at Boiler Bay (along with a number of other people) and saw several kelp greenling caught, and one ling cod lost. Not my favorite place to fish. Too far down to the water to lift up any decent size fish and if you should happen to fall into that turmoil, they'd be reading your obit in the paper! Better places to catch fish off the rocks without risking your life.
Chief Jim

C

Chief Jim

Chief Jim;
Welcome aboard! I do understand about getting old. My Momma warned me about our body/life warranties running out after the age of 50. :think: Right now 50 seems soooo young. :rolleyes: Darn good thing we aren't wimps,huh?!:lol:
Again,welcome, we are glad to have another honored member. Let me be the first to thank you for your years of service to our country. It is your and the other service members of every branch that allows us to live so freely. Thank you.
Be safe.
Barb

Thanks for the warm welcome, Ma'am. Nice to be aboard. I spent the mornning fishing Olalla Resevoir north of Toledo. Caught one decent trout (and 3 sculpin, which will become bait for a cabezon or ling next time I go off the rocks. Saw several really nice trout landed, but moved were boats slow trolling. Then we moved up to Big Creek Res. Caught two more trout, and saw several more landed by others. Action was reported better very early in the morning.
New subject: I do a lot of surf fishing and beach combing. (My wife and I build wind chimes using driftwood, seashells and stained glass). (I just purchased a folding cart from Ace Hardware ($65.00) that should suit both purposes very well. If interested, you had better hurry to the closest Ace.
The south store in Lincoln City only had 2 to start with and I got the last one!
Chief Jim

S

Shadelady

Chief, we fish Boiler Bay a fair amount also. Other than Newport, what other rocky areas do you like?

C

Chief Jim

Chief, we fish Boiler Bay a fair amount also. Other than Newport, what other rocky areas do you like?

Evening, Miss,
Well, I'm not as fleet of foot as I used to be so I can't "rock hop" like I useta culd, but I have caught a lot of fish of the Newport south jetty, particularly the ocean side (but I hear tell the finger piers are also good. I just lost considerable tackle there with some bites, but no fish.) I also like the channel at Depoe Bay. I tend to fish underneath the bridge and stay in one spot because of the somewhat rugged terrain, but the rocks below the whale watching platform seem to produce well for cabezon, greenling, surf perch and lings. I spent a considerable part of my life going in Harm's Way. Would like to think I have learned enough by now to know when and where I have no business being. I'm still thinking that the mouth of the Siletz and to the north where that new sandbar has formed this year should be ideal for surf perch. I need to get myself some mole crabs and load up my new cart and catch this on the incoming tide. I checked this out last week and I'm convinced I have found at least 2 spots that are prime perch territory.
Chief Jim

S

Shadelady

Jim, we havent tried under the bridge yet but have been meaning to. the mouth of the Siletz you say? what do you think of trying at the Kernville Steakhouse? being that they are closed i was thinking it might be a good place to try. i keep looking around Lincoln City for a good place to throw in, but i am not sure what i am looking for- any sugguestions?
there is so much fishing to do i am never sure where to start.

S

Shadelady

Jim,
couple of questions for you... i know experience is part of it, but i keep missing strikes. we went to Boiler Bay today and i easuly missed 6 hits. i tried waiting longer and shorter. not sure what i am doing wrong. i managed to get a hold of one greenling. but missed a lot more. my rigging is a 1oz weight and a golf ball, about a foot then a bait looped #1 hook. then another foot or 2 another bait hooked #1. the line on the hooks is usually about 10-16 inches. we were using clams mostly. i started with just a weight (about 6oz) but kept losing them. the golf balls help cut down on that- its just a little hard to detect a hit because the bounce feels a lot like a hit.
any help is appreciated.

C

Chief Jim

Missing Strikes

Missing Strikes

Jim,
couple of questions for you... i know experience is part of it, but i keep missing strikes. we went to Boiler Bay today and i easuly missed 6 hits. i tried waiting longer and shorter. not sure what i am doing wrong. i managed to get a hold of one greenling. but missed a lot more. my rigging is a 1oz weight and a golf ball, about a foot then a bait looped #1 hook. then another foot or 2 another bait hooked #1. the line on the hooks is usually about 10-16 inches. we were using clams mostly. i started with just a weight (about 6oz) but kept losing them. the golf balls help cut down on that- its just a little hard to detect a hit because the bounce feels a lot like a hit.
any help is appreciated.

Well, if I had the answer to this one, and a nickel for every strike I had missed, I could buy my own island somewhere in the Caribean and be drinking margaritas with Jimmy Buffet! Seriously, I don't know the answer. I've tried holding the rod and waiting for the hit--nothing. Set the rod down and bingo, bango, bongo, and still miss hooking! Leave the rod alone and they steal the bait! Short sticks of dynamite would probably be effective, but its my understanding those are frowned upon by the local constabulary. You might try going with a smaller hook, or a heavier weight. If I really knew the answer, I could write books on fishing and make a lot of money! Hope this helps, but I'm certain that it won't. As they say, your mileage may vary. Personally, I get about 5 miles to the gallon when it comes to fishing--but I've only been doing it for 50+ years and I'm still learning.
Chief Jim

S

Shadelady

Jim, well i didn't figure it couldnt hurt to ask. mind if i ask where you get your lead from? i am always looking to save a dollar.

C

Chief Jim

Fishing Lead

Fishing Lead

Jim, well i didn't figure it couldnt hurt to ask. mind if i ask where you get your lead from? i am always looking to save a dollar.

Evening, Miss,
Well, actually I've been collecting lead for a number of years from various sources. Tire balancing weights, used car batteries, and I knew an outfit that manufactured lead lined doors for hospital x-ray rooms. At one time I worked for an outfit in Portland that made these doors. You just haven't lived a full life until you have tried to move a 280 lb. door across the floor without it getting away from you. And if it starts coming your way, it is really in your best interest to get out of the way. Danged thing would mash you into a grease spot!
I've been melting my own weights since I was a kid. Now they tell us that handling lead and breathing the fumes can do all kinds of serious damage to your health. Heck, when I was going up and working with my Dad painting, we used lead-based paints and mixed our own putty--a mixture of turpentine, a little paint, and white lead, and we kneaded it together in the palm of our hand! Is this stuff bad for you? Probably, and I don't suggest that you melt lead inside the house or spend a lot of time breathing in the fumes, but I suspect that we all come in contact with stuff every day that is even more hazardous. I do know that I ain't never gotten ecoli or swine flu from pouring lead!
I know a guy that works for a golf course and he is going to save me some golf balls. Says they give them to the Vets to golf with. Well, I'm a vet, get me a couple of dozen! I want to try them. Probably be a study come out in a month or so stating that used golf balls have been shown to cause cancer in Asian lab rats. Well, those rats shouldn't have been golfing in the first place!
Chief Jim