O.F.F. tuna trip!!!

B
beaverfan
Ok so I mentioned that I thought we should get a group of us together and do a group Tuna trip this summer. It sounded like there was some interest by at least a few people. It would most likely be with Newport Marina Store and Charters. I went out with them bottomfishing a few weeks ago and had a blast. I had a chance to talk to the Captain a little bit and it really sounded fun! I have been out Tuna fishing one time, while I had a good time it was far from awesome. We used handlines so there was no fight from the fish, you just drag them in. Which is a very effective way to put meat on the table but not ideal in my book. We could do a 12 or 18 hour trip and here's a link to the website. I will be contacting them soon about dates and group rates, etc. So if you are interested please post here or PM me. We will be using relatively light rods and according to they're website you ARE ENCOURAGED TO BRING YOUR FLY ROD!!!! With that being said I would imagine that using your own rod is an option! I would also like to do a Coho trip with them when the time comes so if you want to do that too I can check on group rates.

J
JeannaJigs
I'd be interested in this if it's a weekend I'm not working, if I know a date in advance I can do some shift swapping if needed.

T
Thuggin4Life
I'm not rich but keep us updated.

B
beaverfan
I'm far from rich myself (shoot I'm far from middle class lol) but it's one hell of an experience being that far out in the ocean. Oh and Jeanna it will surely be on a weekend, hopefully we can give you plenty of time to try to get the day OFF.

M
Markcanby
I would be in as long as it doesn't cost to many hundreds

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Soooo? Is this going to happen? Sounds like it would be a blast for those who aren't worried about THAT much water... 8~)

B
beaverfan
If we can get enough interest then heck ya it's gonna happen. I am going with or without y'all! I mentioned it a while ago and it seemed to have a decent amount of interest, now not so much.

T
the_intimidator03
well if i was working id definitely look into it but right now im looking for work

B
beaverfan
As it is a 12hr trip is 210.00, if we get a good sized group together we can probably get them to go down a little bit. I'm sure they OFFer a group rate.

T
the_intimidator03
well ill keep tabs on it and if for some remarkable reason i get a few hundred to spend... by all means LOL but i think it would be a long shot

A
autofisher
That'd be such a blast!! Let me know if when you're thinking of doing this, I'll see what I can do.

B
beaverfan
Not sure when the best time would be? I know they come around in the summer months, but not sure when the peak is and all that. OFF the top of my head I'm thinking either the end of June or the beginning of August? Anyone know when the best time to hit the Tuna is?

M
Markcanby
I know I was there in August a couple years ago an they were bringing hundreds of Tuna into the cleaning station at Newport.

B
beaverfan
hmmm maybe the first weekend in August then. I'm gonna ask when I book if it's ok to use my own rod, catching a Tuna on a Steelhead rod would be quite the experience!!! I figure since they encourage you bring your fly rod, maybe they'll let me use my own baitcaster.

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
if i ever go i wont bring the 6 wt LOL maybe if i have an 8 or 9wt

T
troutmasta
Its an el nino year. The tuna will be close to the shore. Im in the process of finishing up the refurbishment of a 29 foot trophy ocean boat my parents just bought. It will be done by the end of may. Im not in it to make a profit. I could get some of you out for your share of gas, (with the el nino wont be too much). Ill keep every one informed about the progress, but I plan on tuna fishin all summer long!

J
JeannaJigs
troutmasta said:
Its an el nino year. The tuna will be close to the shore. Im in the process of finishing up the refurbishment of a 29 foot trophy ocean boat my parents just bought. It will be done by the end of may. Im not in it to make a profit. I could get some of you out for your share of gas, (with the el nino wont be too much). Ill keep every one informed about the progress, but I plan on tuna fishin all summer long!

That's sweet!

O
OnTheFly
Yeah Jay, Keep us posted on this. If I can swing the cost I'll go in a heart beat.

F
Fish Fight
For those that are going out on a charter, July is the trolling fishery. The tuna will hit good, August it starts to turn to a live bait or imitation of live bait. September is not a troll fishery. Most of the charters are geared towards the troll fishery, the exception are six packs. Garibaldi will be having live bait this year and there are a couple of charters out of there that will have it onboard. If you go on a charter ask about ice. Ask if they bleed and ice the fish. If they don't give a quick and positive answer then don't go with them. Ask if they are fishing with hand lines or rod and reel. Hand lines is a meat trip, rod and reel is a fun trip, fishing with both will yield both. If you go in August ask if they have live bait, same for September. Good luck out there, have fun and post some stories.

B
beaverfan
Thanks for the info. We would be using rods, they even mention that it's ok to bring your own fly rod! I keep hearing about six packs, what exactly are they?