Nymphs for trout fishing

U
USCGAUXHinkle
what are some good nymphs to purchase? i'd be fishing for trout in lakes/streams.

B
bigsteel
gold ribbed hares ear,prince nymph,copper john,callibeatis nymphs,caddis pupa,,scuds...i like big heavy stone fliy nymphs when fishing with a dropper rig...copperback stone flies are my favorite..i prefer my nymphs with beadheads

Troutski
Troutski
Beadheads...

Beadheads...

bigsteel said:
gold ribbed hares ear,prince nymph,copper john,callibeatis nymphs,caddis pupa,,scuds...i like big heavy stone fliy nymphs when fishing with a dropper rig...copperback stone flies are my favorite..i prefer my nymphs with beadheads

Couldn't have said it better....:cool:

Chuck

T
the_intimidator03
probably the nymph i fish the most is a gold beadhead prince nymph in 12 and 14. I also fish hares ear beadhead in 14. so far all of my fishing has been with beadheads. not a skunk yet knock on wood

M
Mike123
bigsteel said:

Ya that! And don't forget chronomids.. Stoker trout are retarded and will eat almost any nymph you put in front of them. Black Gnats work well too.

E
everett464
I have to say, I have switched to nymphing a Mega Prince, almost exclusively. You can always hang a little prince or hare's ear off the end, but I have never had a fish take my dropper off of a Mega Prince.

I have hooked up with the tiniest pinner rainbows, all the way to fish so big that I never saw them before they took me out into my backing, and then broke me off.

It will imitate almost any nymph when hung from a thingamabobber, not to mention a minnow or a leach when subject to incidental drag, or even when swung intentionally (although there are clearly better tools for this last task).

There are any number of variations you can apply if tying this guy yourself; I would be happy to let you in on some of my "secrets" if you are interested.

Everett

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
When i realized the fish feed 90% of there feeding time under water, and the remaining terrestrial.
I not saying I don't carry dry flies with me....but I carry three fly boxes half of one is dedicated dries and the rest of the room is a combination of nymphs and emergers...drifting a nymph and using the swing to hook up a fish is simply magical.

Tight lines

Chuck

G
GDBrown
Mike123 said:
Ya that! And don't forget chronomids.. Stoker trout are retarded and will eat almost any nymph you put in front of them. Black Gnats work well too.

Try adding a San Juan worm as a dropper when you're on the lake next time. I usually get hits on the SJ before I get hits on the nymph!

GD

M
Mike123
GDBrown said:
Try adding a San Juan worm as a dropper when you're on the lake next time. I usually get hits on the SJ before I get hits on the nymph!

GD

I love using those in bright PINK! They are killer!