Nymphing for steelhead

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
As a total 100% steelhead neophyte, I am reading a lot about them and how people fish for them. One thing that comes up a lot is that people seem to have a bad attitude about nymphing for them. What the heck is that about?

I am a pretty decent nympher, so I am going to do it either way, I am not moved by public opinion. Just curious. I mean, people kill a lot of steelhead, and people plug fish, bait fish, and whatever else for steelhead... why would anyone object to nymphing for them? Is it because you toss nymphs upstream, rather than swinging them downstream? I was a little surprised to be advised not to get into the river DOWNSTREAM of another angler, but to get in UPstream. Of course, this is the opposite of what you would do in, say, Colorado.

Anyway, I just got a decent reel for my 7 weight, so I am anticipating the upcoming adventures.

SS

Last edited:
J
Jordy
You absolutely should not low-hole another angler. Thats one of the more disrespectful moves in the game. If a fisherman is working a run he is making a cast or 3 then moving downstream and likely working fish down the drift looking for them to commit. If you jump in below him his drift just ended. I always ask if they are moving downstream and often people are not so then i go fish below them. Otherwise i wait and get in behind them.

As a sidebar if someone asks you and you want to work the rest of the run you should be punctual. They were polite, give them a crack at it without killing the rest of the day.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Jordy, I got that bit worked out, it is the anti-nymphing thing I am curious about.

SS

J
Jordy
Fly fishermen, as a rule, are stuck up about many brands of fishing, including some that are done with a fly rod.

If it catches fish, the purists are going to turn up their noses.

Flame disclaimer: Im making a semi-sarcastic blanket statement on an extremely well documented topic. As noted in previous posts, I have met tons of nice people on both sides of this aisle and am just poking fun at the issue.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
It is a funny issue to be sure, and one that needs to get poked often and well with a sharp stick.

C
coyo7e
Fly fishermen, as a rule, can be humongous asses about the dumbest ****. My Aunt's husband got cock-blocked and shouted at on the Yachats Creek/river last year, by some old asshat who has apparently decided that fishing without flies on his home waters is unacceptable, and that old disk will straight up pull over and then hike down a hill and splash through the river to catch someone fishing "his" hole.

Frankly he's lucky he didn't find *me* on the river a few hundred yards from civilization, or I'd have probably sent him for a swim.

I think that because a lot of fly fishers are a little more wealthy, they have a stronger sense of entitlement. In my book though it sounds like they're "cruisin' for a bruisin'", as we used to say when I was growing up rough and tumble in Drain...

B
BaldTexan
I think we've all run across that type of arrogance. To me it's just another tool to catch fish and at particular times and situations it's the most productive. I love out fishing an arrogant ******* with spinning gear while he's tossing flies with his nose in the air and wondering out loud how anyone can fish all day without an $800 rod.

On the other hand, catching big fish on a too small fly setup (bimart Okuma special) is quite fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
ChezJfrey
Jordy said:
Fly fishermen, as a rule, are stuck up about many brands of fishing, including some that are done with a fly rod.

If it catches fish, the purists are going to turn up their noses.

Flame disclaimer: Im making a semi-sarcastic blanket statement on an extremely well documented topic. As noted in previous posts, I have met tons of nice people on both sides of this aisle and am just poking fun at the issue.

LOL

A blanket statement for sure, but invariably you will run into them...especially on the internet forums.

Just for fun, hit the river with a fly rod and nymph rig...even better yet, make it a bead, then wait for the fireworks ;)

This video doesn't really explain much, but is quite illustrative.

[video=youtube;QPD8L-AzLV0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPD8L-AzLV0[/video]

D
DirectDrive
It is funny how the floating line purists denigrate nymphers.
It's like they are single-cell organisms.

B
BaldTexan
Purists miss the boat! I'll fish whatever gear will get the fish to bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H
halibuthitman
The problem with fly fishing is it's often fueled by Romance.. A notion of something pure and religious.. When romance and religion walks in the room.. Common sense goes out a window-

B
billfisher
halibuthitman said:
The problem with fly fishing is it's often fueled by Romance.. A notion of something pure and religious.. When romance and religion walks in the room.. Common sense goes out a window-

True in so many ways! Welcome back HH.

C
coyo7e
He called it "shadow casting"
/wankbag

I recently found out that fly fishers make "egg" flies. They spend long periods carefully layering yarn in tiny bits and then trim it down until it's perfectly round round and pretend like it's a huge deal and I'm thinking "man, with an egg loop and $1.99 sewing scissors from bi mart, I can change out colors faster than you can find your fly box."

A fly fisher was asking how to catch carp recently and I told him to chum the water with round-shaped dry cat food for a few days and then throw brown yarn balls. He was like "holy cow what a great idea!" :D

C
cdat
I took a fly tying class a few weeks ago, as I am hoping to learn to fly fish for steelhead, pretty funny that I learned to make "eggs" and "worms". So much for "purtiy". I fish the way I want within the regs. Don't understand the big fuss between fishing a "live worm" and fishing plastic worm, or one made from yarn

M
Modest_Man
Buddy hooked a steelhead on the Sandy last week nymphing a pink Powerbait Power egg...it was awesome.