Nymphing, egg, etc, question

G
Growbug
I am confused. There seems to be two completely separate camps on this.

The "great lakes crowd" seem to say size 12 and 10 nymphs / eggs, but i have seen people fishing the waters around here with large size 4 glo bug eggs.

What size / pattern nymph and what size glo-bug eggs are normal in this area?

==============

question is based on dry line fly fishin for da steelies with an indicator.

F
FishFiddle
I'ma using 4's, pretty much, even using a 4 streamer hook for jigs, leeches, etc. I do tie some smaller (steelhead) nymphs on size 6 & 8 Teeny hooks. I like the Teeny hooks for the dark color and also cause they are strong and I use these as a dropper sometimes behind a bigger jig, etc.

M
metalfisher76
I`m down to 6`s for just about all of`em. 4 if I need a lil bigger presentation, higher water say.

F
fish4life
I think that if you were using size 10 and 12 hooks you might have a problem with hooks straighting out or breaking esspecially if you are fishing an area where you need to put the wood to a fish to keep it from running down a rapid or log jam.

S
skunk
I think mine are all 6's also. I have a few on the circle hook style as well. If I can catch any feesh on those I'll post how they work.

M
Mad dog
Oregon isn't the upper midwest, no practical reason to go smaller than a #6.

G
Growbug
Mad dog said:
Oregon isn't the upper midwest, no practical reason to go smaller than a #6.

Thats the prob.. I only just realised that over half the stuff i am reading is Great Lakes. The whole routine over there seems different.
Different waters - Different approach?

Currently I am learning the egg dot thingy. Got a nice selection of "jeez - aint going to fish that" eggs, now working on "they dont look too bad now" eggs. Tied on a size 4, these have a little substance.

Thanks for the advice peeps.

M
Mad dog
Different waters-different approach? Hmmn...maybe a little? I think all rivers are a little the same? Big or small, it depends on the flows....I am a firm believer in chasing water! High and muddy, steelhead green, low and clear, from big to little all steelhead rivers have thier phase's! Started out the week catching fish on baits that would choke a mule and finished the week catching fish on baits that would maybe interest a planter trout! I think great lakes fisherman fish steelhead way differently than we do on the west coast, partly because their fish behave differently than our steelhead here out west and partly because their streams tend to be a more constant low, clear flow than what we deal with on the west coast. East coast may not be entirely bad! Saw some stuff in STS 25 yrs ago about fishing great lakes steelhead, the baits they were using were right on the money with what I would pick to fish in low clear flows right now in Oregon! Those guys nailed it! But...I have no practical need for the #10 and #12 hooks they fished their baits on. Never seen anyone use a noodle rod out west! The same bait on a #4 hook....equal's money! Fish on the bank!

M
mlw
they got wimpy steelhead back there :)