Nutria

FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
Wondering if anyones tried hunting these little buggers? As far as I know there’s no closed season or bag limit, and they’re an invasive and DESTRUCTIVE species. I’ve also read that they’re not bad tasting, pretty similar to rabbit (found some Cajun recipes for them) so I’m figuring why not give hunting them a try? I just don’t really know where to start beside look near water.

I see them in town (Eugene) all the time, along the river banks, ponds, and on the golf courses, but I haven’t seen any out on hunt-able public land. Any advice on where to start looking?

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
The problem in this town is probably the actual use of a firearm (even air powered)

We had an infestation at work and called a trapper, caught 4 almost immediately. I think there's a rule/law that once they are captured they can not be relocated

FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
NKlamerus said:
The problem in this town is probably the actual use of a firearm (even air powered)

We had an infestation at work and called a trapper, caught 4 almost immediately. I think there's a rule/law that once they are captured they can not be relocated
Totally, I wasn’t figuring to hunt them in town, save perhaps at Fern Ridge.

FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
I’m mostly wondering if anyones hunted them, and if so what methods and/or techniques have you found effective/helpful, and if anyone has tips, I’d love to hear them. Likewise, if anyone here is outside city limits and has an issue with them, hmu and maybe we can work something out!

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
My advice would be to drive the fields around alvadore to junction city. Many of the fields have irrigation canals running through them. Or follow the long time river down. Look for nutria feeding and contact the landowners for access. They hate them, they eat the grass and destroy the stream banks

Reactions: FairweatherFisher
jamisonace
jamisonace
When I lived in Springfield I was close to the canal and they would end up in my yard. I had a pair living in some bushes by my pond for awhile. I shot them all the time with a .22. Raccoons too. A friend came over and killed 2 with his recurve. Never did eat them but I've heard they're pretty good.

DOKF
DOKF
I use a 0.22 or 0.25 pellet gun on squirrels, raccoons and nutria in my area. Quiet enough to not disturb the neighbours (shush!), but powerful enough to dispatch the varmints.

D
DonF
Back in the early 1970's I got a bunch of them out of the Swan River in Montana. Took them home to try eating and left them in the back room while I went a changed. Came back out and looked at them and they looked like rats so ended up throwing them away. I've heard they are good to eat too but just looked to much like rats!

Chromatose
Chromatose
Clay banks, under cuts in mostly still to mild flow waters.........................They do not taste like rabbit (imo). A little earthy taste. Low in fat. Buddy of mine said they tasted like dark meat of a Turkey. Lots of recipes out there. Beer batter with Garlic and into the oil pot is how I cook them.

• Love
FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
Chromatose said:
Clay banks, under cuts in mostly still to mild flow waters.........................They do not taste like rabbit (imo). A little earthy taste. Low in fat. Buddy of mine said they tasted like dark meat of a Turkey. Lots of recipes out there. Beer batter with Garlic and into the oil pot is how I cook them.
Thanks for the input on recipes/ cooking methods! I don’t really have access to any bodies of still water that aren’t public access, like lakes/reservoirs, and those are often full of boaters, families, etc…not a particularly appropriate place to be hunting, even if it is legal.

If you have any suggestions on specific lakes/ponds, I’d love to hear them, but totally understand if you don’t want to give out that info.

I’m figuring I’ll just bring my .22 with me when I float the rivers this summer, and shoot them (so long as it’s a legal stretch of water to do so) if I see them along the banks/ in the water.