Nubie help

S

silver fishin

I am new to the pacific northwest, and am chomping at the bit to salmon or steelhead fish. I have been bass and trout fishin for decades in stillwater. But I want to try tasty tasty salmon. I have read books and articles for a year now trying to figure it out on my own. Though I have discovered the salmon/steelhead fishing have their own language. I have not learned much about technique, were a novice can get started (and make mistakes), and good suggestions were to go bank fishing, no boat. So here I am asking for help to find a book, or other source to learn form, where to go, what the language of this sport is. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks

G

GDBrown

Welcome!

Welcome!

:cool:Welcome to the OFF gang. With a little humor and some reading of forum threads you can learn a lot. Check out the Sticky treads. There are also several good sites to learn how and where to go. I started at(Steelhead University - Fishing Education) It is a Washington base site but had some good info.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Welcome to the family...

Welcome to the family...

silver fishin;
Welcome to one of,if not THE friendliest,most informative fishing forum in the country! If you like fellow fisher folk who share all types of tips and info to help enrich your fishing experience,you found the right spot. This is the pot 'o gold at the end of the fisher folk rainbow. Be sure to check the relevant forums for so much info on your chosen species,your head just might spin. The archives are bursting with the answers to your questions. You might even meet up with a few members for a day of Sharing & Caring. Nothing like meeting a future fishing buddy. Good fishing!

F

FishSchooler

You just got here at the right time. It will be the peak of the Coho run in a couple of weeks!
Cedar Creek in Sandy is a pretty darn good bet for Coho.
For books, check out "Illustrated Rigging for Salmon, Steelhead, and Trout"
It contains tons of riggings and how to fish them, and how to find the fish.

F

FishFinger

Welcome to the forum. There is a outstanding archive of information here. You can access most all of it by using the search feature. That should give you hours of reading as well as to bring you up to speed on things.

Your here at the right time, the coho are just now starting to show up in the local tribs. We are looking forward to your stories as well as pictures of your accomplishments in the fishing realm.

K

koboabe

beyond the info you can gleam here I would check out
Steelhead Fishing
Piscatorial Pursuits <- click on resources and then tips.
lots of good info
illustrated rigging is a great book, you might want to look at Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon and Trout by Jed Davis.

K

Kodiak

Banned User
Welcome to OFF. There are lots of helpful posts here that will help you find fish. Good Luck

S

silver fishin

thanks everybody for same great resources and information.

L

liquidplumber

thanks everybody for same great resources and information.

I could help you in this area but it's a long drive for you and I'm sure some OFF members would be willing to help you out in that area.There are a LOT of outstanding fishermen/women there.Good luck.

Top Bottom