Now I really need reels

F
fish_4_all
Well my Q Heat burnt up another kick lever. Tried a Revo for 2 weeks and hated it, no micro adjust and had to spend more time adjusting the magnets than fishing, not fun in rain and 15 mph winds. Not to mention another kick lever eaten up and will have to be replaced by next salmon season.

Now I have to look at the Quantum burst and AG Pro Max really close to see if the components will last any longer. Has anyone used either of these reel? Are the parts still in tact or do they show signs of wear only after a year of use?

What ever happend to the good old reels? My old Ambassadeur Mag Plus put well over 1000 salmon on the bank, caught thousands of salt water fish and is still usable today being over 15 years old and used and abused hard core.Sadly It is now retired because it has finally developed a wobble that is just too much and I don't want to break the best reel have ever owned.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
I have a quantum 1420 that was made in '94 that was like new to me a little over a year ago and its still kicking stong. I hear you on older reels My dad gave me 2 penn 309's that he used in the 90's in alaska and I had to replace 1 plastic gear and the level wind guide on one of the reels for less than $20 and clean em up and they work great and will most likely for years to come. But anyways I like my quantum.

S
SNDSLGR
So why not just stick with the ambassadeur's? A $9 upgrade to carbontex drag washers and the things are near bulletproof.

D
DirectDrive
If you like a Mag Plus why not look for a low mileage one on eBay ?

F
fish_4_all
SNDSLGR said:
So why not just stick with the ambassadeur's? A $9 upgrade to carbontex drag washers and the things are near bulletproof.

Is that for low profile reels? Have never heard of it but I have never had a problem with drags on any of my baitcasters. Low profile reels are the ones I have a problem with. I have round Penn's I have had for years and I got a couple from relatives that are older than me and I doubt will ever wear out. Even if they do, replacing $10-15 in parts after 30 years is fine with me.

G
GDBrown
I can understand your frustration with the magnets, I had the same problem with mine. I kept busting gears on it also and finally gave up and got a couple of AG reels. It was only then that I realized the problem was most likely in the gear ratio of the Q that caused my problems. Most of the low profile reels are designed as bass baitcasters with about a 7:1 ratio. I lost two salmon one year and that was it! The AG is closer to 5:1 so it puts less stress on the gears, etc. Not sure if your problem is similar to mine but it does sound like it to me.

GD

F
fish_4_all
I guess it could be but I don't fight any fish with my drag or my reel for that matter. I always thumb the reels, always have. The higher speed might cause some excess wear on that kick lever though if it doesn't fully disengage it could really chew one up in a hurry. But I never here anything from the reels. Maybe it is the aluminum alloy that is just soo soft that you don't hear it and don't know anything is happening until it is too late. Unfortunately, even the better quality reels are being made in China with precision parts made in Sweden.

Maybe I will just break down and buy a Quantum Burst and an AG Pro Max and see if either is worth it. May have to order a dozen kick levers for both too just in case. Either that or I need to find a machinist who can make me one out of brass or stainless.

S
SNDSLGR
You said ambassadeur in an earlier post so I thought that is what you were reffering to. I was talking about the round reels, (4500-5500-6500 etc..).

You may want to try these new Okuma's if its a tough low-pro you are after. I know what you are thinking but Okuma is not the cheap o reel of the past. They are making great stuff these days and their customer service is un-touchable imo. I broke the mount on a spinner last year and they overnighted me a new reel after one phone call.

Last edited:
F
fish_4_all
Nothing Wrong with Okuma, I have a spinning reel from them. Just never used a baitcaster from them nor seen one locally is my only problem with them. I hate buying a reel unseen and "felt". I will check them out for sure. Thanks for reminding me about them.

And no worries on the recomendations, I love my round Ambassadeurs, only reel I own that rivals them are my Penns and they are not as good, IMO.

Any recommendations on a low profile Okuma?

T
Thuggin4Life
Get the low profile quantum 1420 if they still make it.

F
fish_4_all
Well I got my answer. I am gonna go with the abu Garcia Pro Max. I contacted a Ollie Damons, he is a reel repair guy down there in Oregon and all of his reel people said that the Pro Max will be a much better choice and that the Quantum parts are cheap and unreliable. I may decide to look at another one too just not sure yet.

I did talk with my uncle that has the Revo and he said it was not the kick lever that was wrong with it. The reel had another problem, he didn't cleanin a couple weeks and we are fishing brachish water. It had gummed up from a reaction with the grease and/or oil for some reason. There was no corrosion so that is a good thing also. I don't like the capacity though so we will see if I consider one.

Okuma is looking really good too but have to get more information about them also.

D
DirectDrive
That's smart to talk to a reel tech....they know what is good.
Ollie Damon's does a nice job.....usually it's Ryan or Doug that will help you.

On the Revo there are 9 different models....four different sizes, some are magnet reels, some are centrifugal reels.
The one you had was a centrifugal, not a magnet.....those are brake weights inside.
A magnet reel will have a dial on the outside.

My favorite size is the Inshore model, it's a little bigger capacity than the S, SX, STX models but it is a centrifugal reel, which I prefer because I turn everything off anyway :)

What is a "kick lever" ? :)

Last edited:
F
fish_4_all
Well I got my Abu Garcia Pro Max, last years model without the flipping switch, and I think I like it. Seems to be one solid reel and it is so smooth. Can't wait to actually try it out on the river, might have to test it out in salt water first just to get fishing earlier.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
SNDSLGR said:

*Ding*

I LOVE them. So much a even made a youtube video about maintenance.

F
fish_4_all
Well if this reel holds up anywhere near as well as my old Ambassadeur Mag plus did I may never buy another brand, except for Penn of course.