Novice: what to fish in November and December

M
MPS
I am a beginner who just started fishing a few weeks ago, specifically targeting trout. My plan is to renew my license next year so I can start targeting steelhead and salmon in 2021. That is to say, I don't want to pay to upgrade my license to start targeting those fish now. Besides fishing lakes and ponds for trout, what species can I target through the end of the year? Do bass and crappie stay active as it gets colder? In my mind they are "summer" fish.

Echskech
Echskech
Maybe a little more information on where you regularly fish and what type of gear (rod weight and length) you have available? I get that you may not have a boat to use on the regular but more info could give more specific answers on this forum.
Working wi what I've got tho, it seems you're already aware that summer fish slow down on the bite and get deep during winter. Trout on the other hand stay relatively active and give you a good shot at fishing through any season. My recommendation would be to learn the rivers that stay open all year in your area and learn to fish the pockets and water seems that are prevalent during winter's high flows.
If you're so lucky as to find a river that gets a run of salmon/ steelhead then you may find yourself so juiced up at the sight of one to just bite the bullet and get that license endorsement a season early.
Best of luck bud, welcome to the wide world of fishing.

Reactions: Blue Lines
nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Deschutes River with nymphs will provide trout and whitefish until January. I don't know if you fish fly or not, but if not, nymphs can easily be fished conventional. Use smaller egg and midge patterns.

Reactions: Peaceful and Blue Lines
I
Ishultz
MPS said:
I am a beginner who just started fishing a few weeks ago, specifically targeting trout. My plan is to renew my license next year so I can start targeting steelhead and salmon in 2021. That is to say, I don't want to pay to upgrade my license to start targeting those fish now. Besides fishing lakes and ponds for trout, what species can I target through the end of the year? Do bass and crappie stay active as it gets colder? In my mind they are "summer" fish.
Not sure what water bodies you live near, but it is worth noting that most streams and some lakes are closed to trout fishing on November 1st and don't open back up until May. There are some rivers that stay open year-round however like the metolius but that is a catch and release only river.