Not looking good

C_Run

C_Run

Just went to see what the commotion is at the Buena Vista boat ramp. There are several emergency vehicles including the Polk Co. command center and a chaplain maybe a tv crew too and the whole place is blocked off. There's been a helicopter hovering up around where the Luckiamute and Santiam enter the Willamette.

J

JeannaJigs

Ah jeeze. That's a generally quiet area of river. Curious to find out more details. I was just talking with someone about floating Jefferson to buena vista.

C_Run

C_Run

Went back down and talked to bystanders. This is secondhand but apparently one guy fell from his boat. I don't know if they found a body. Fox twelve was reporting and had their helicopter out there.

E

eggs

Read some guy fell from him anchored boat around 1ish

R

rippin fish lips

The Willamette is plenty big and strong

Yeah, curious to find out what happened. I know of one wirl pool on the willy on the dexter to pengra float that you wouldnt want to get caught in. And im pretty dang sure its a lot worse this year.

R

RunWithSasquatch

We ran up there in the sled a week ago from buena vista to the I5 bridge in the santiam, plenty of current and about 200 yards wide through there, not a good swimming hole.

J

JeannaJigs

That section from Dexter to pengra is ugly when it's high. The willamette is underestimated. I'm guilty of underestimating it. Looks alright but that current is ripping. Just another reminder to always be aware. And another reason to wear a pfd, which admittedly I need to actually wear instead of having strapped to the bench...it's not gonna do anything strapped to my boat.

B

BankWalker

You never think you need the PFD until the river grabs you unexpectedly and we loose anouther good fisherperson. I wont go in a boat without one on. I once took a tumble off a concrete dock and hit the bottom of it when i came up. It knocked me out and I don't even remember climbing out just coming to on the dock. It was slow water but it could have just as easily been fast water and that would be the end of me.I treat every bit of water with caution it deserves now.

F

FishFiddle

I just saw that Cabelas grand opening sale has the inflatable pdfs on sale for $79. They look just like the Stearns which are very comfortable to fish or row while wearing. I don't go on the water anymore without one. Get one for Mothers Day so you can call and say 'Hey Momma I fell in the river but I'm coming home'. Water hydraulics change tremendously with increased flow, speed and power can really ruin your day in a hurry.

C_Run

C_Run

Even in summer you don't want to be swimming there. A few years ago a guy tried to follow his dog who had swum across in about the same spot. The dog made it and the guy drowned. There's a lot of submerged logs and strong currents around this area.

L

lilsalmon

Authorities searched in vain Thursday for a Dallas man who apparently fell out of his boat into the Willamette River and disappeared about a mile south of the Buena Vista Ferry.

Anthony Lane, 52, was fishing alone in his boat at river mile 107.5 just before noon when he tried to dislodge his anchor. A nearby boater, hearing shouts of "hey!" went to investigate but only found the empty boat.

The Polk County sheriff's office responded, as did the Marion County sheriff's office, Salem Fire Department, Polk 1 Fire Department, Jefferson Fire Department, Albany Fire Department and the Oregon State Police. A diver from the Newburg Fire Department tried to get into the water, but the current was too swift.

The search was called off around 5:30 p.m.

Very, very sad......

J

JeannaJigs

Oh man. Thats bad. My anchor got stuck in a bad way on the santiam just a ways above the confluence...scary as ever. Tried in vain to dislodge it. Almost went in myself, and almost swamped my boat. Had to cut the line. Things go bad very fast. I think I'm getting one of those low pro inflatable pfds. I scare the hell out of my mom as it is already everytime I hit the water...and as far as she knows I always wear one...which isn't true. I will be changing this. Today. When I go drool at cabelas.

F

FishFiddle

Oh man. Thats bad. My anchor got stuck in a bad way on the santiam just a ways above the confluence...scary as ever. Tried in vain to dislodge it. Almost went in myself, and almost swamped my boat. Had to cut the line. Things go bad very fast. I think I'm getting one of those low pro inflatable pfds. I scare the hell out of my mom as it is already everytime I hit the water...and as far as she knows I always wear one...which isn't true. I will be changing this. Today. When I go drool at cabelas.

Atta Girl! Make your Mom happy!

S

sherman

Good idea Jeanna. Make your mom proud & besides you have a new puppy that needs you to stick around.

H

Hawk

I just saw that Cabelas grand opening sale has the inflatable pdfs on sale for $79. They look just like the Stearns which are very comfortable to fish or row while wearing. I don't go on the water anymore without one. Get one for Mothers Day so you can call and say 'Hey Momma I fell in the river but I'm coming home'. Water hydraulics change tremendously with increased flow, speed and power can really ruin your day in a hurry.

This is such a terrible tragedy. I'm so sorry to hear this.

Is there an online website that shows this inflatable PFD on sale?

J

JeannaJigs

Good idea Jeanna. Make your mom proud & besides you have a new puppy that needs you to stick around.

Yeah...my mom would probably beat me if she saw me without it, she's a scary lady lol...my dogs all have life vests. Kinda dumb to put one on my dogs and not myself. I'm off to cabelas!