not even going to hagg anymore so quit attacking me for a RANT!

C

Callaway

well after the last trip we had out there and EVERYONE attacking me for a RANT!, were just not even going to be going to hagg anymore for a while, most likely not till the fall or winter.
Its just too far for us to go to try and fish there from sun up till about 1030 when the mobs of people show up and the water turns to crap.
we live in the clackamas area so theres just no point in wasting the gas or time for that when we can go somewhere else
besides that my mom just got her first house on her own and weve been busy trying to get her moved.
so thats that.

troutdude

troutdude

I know nothing about the rant.

Rather, just thought you'd like to know that Hagg closes on Nov. 21st this year. It will not be open again, until the first Saturday in March of 2012. So, it is only open for part of the Fall and then closed pretty much all winter long.

S

Subacca

Hard not to but don't take the attacks personally. You will find those exact same people posting the exact same sort of comments on many threads in this forum. OFF has a lot of "good-ol-boys" and if there is a way to attack, criticize, or I think their favorite is if they can find a regulation to throw at you.. they will do it. I see it in countless posts and its starting to become the same people over and over. I honestly don't think they even do it on purpose, they just feel the need to ethically police the forum to feel important and they probably actually believe its for the greater good of the forum somehow (little do they know they just look like jerks).

C

colbypearson

Hard not to but don't take the attacks personally. You will find those exact same people posting the exact same sort of comments on many threads in this forum. OFF has a lot of "good-ol-boys" and if there is a way to attack, criticize, or I think their favorite is if they can find a regulation to throw at you.. they will do it. I see it in countless posts and its starting to become the same people over and over. I honestly don't think they even do it on purpose, they just feel the need to ethically police the forum to feel important and they probably actually believe its for the greater good of the forum somehow (little do they know they just look like jerks).

"good-ol-boys"? why would you call them that?

S

Subacca

"good-ol-boys"? why would you call them that?

It's a term from Alaska where I grew up (not sure how its used down here in the lower 48). Whenever you go out someplace and you see the same group of people always there, the ones that eyeball the newcomers, have their own inside jokes, their own little close knit click going...we call them "the good-ol-boys". It's not meant to be an insult but its not a compliment either.

C

colbypearson

It's a term from Alaska where I grew up (not sure how its used down here in the lower 48). Whenever you go out someplace and you see the same group of people always there, the ones that eyeball the newcomers, have their own inside jokes, their own little close knit click going...we call them "the good-ol-boys". It's not meant to be an insult but its not a compliment either.

Just wondering, havent ever heard it used in that context. When i think of good ol boy i think more redneck type guy, you know good ol boys haha.

G

GraphiteZen

Back in the days of the "Bad Boy Club" t-shirt craze my grandpa had a shirt with a very similar line-art cartoon face that said "Good ol' Boy Club" haha it was cool.

TM-4epSJsB2BaHs95Y7T5g5ve0YKrxBwrxlZ_rKxmGdOf0n9yS.jpg

Last edited:
B

BobbiDollPDX

It's also a term used to describe men in the workplace in some instances when dealing with female coworkers.

G

GDBrown

If you can weather the storms for while and realize that the "good old boys" pick on each other more than the new folks it's not long before you become one of "the Good Old Boys" too.

As for Hagg Lake.... Since it is the closest lake to the west side of Portland where people can safely water ski that's where they go! I use to work graveyard and would get there at 7:30 in the morning after work and there was always the same guy out wakeboarding and when I asked him why he came at that time of the morning he said: "It's the only time when I have the lake to myself, except for you". It is a big place so we have to share.

Salem has Detroit Lake and East Portland has North Fork Reservoir. You just have to play in the same sandbox even they we don't always like it.

R

R&M Boatsaleslady

Here ya there!

Here ya there!

Well anyone would know that was not an insult, they fish, they hunt, they go 4x4'en Jeans T-shirt---- Yup them are good 'ol Boys!!! ") OH YEAH GREW UP WITH THEM and THAT TERM RIGHT HERE IN OREGON!!! :think:

C

ChezJfrey

LOL! Yeah, it sure would be nice if those pesky regulations that fishers are supposed to abide by weren't thrown in our face...I'd probably catch dozens of steelhead with a gillnet and a gaff :rolleyes:

R

R&M Boatsaleslady

LOL! Yeah, it sure would be nice if those pesky regulations that fishers are supposed to abide by weren't thrown in our face...I'd probably catch dozens of steelhead with a gillnet and a gaff :rolleyes:
make love not war boys

N

n8r1

I think that the main problem people had with his "rant" was the fact that he was condoning violence on boaters who crossed too close to his setup. He mentioned that he would fling a heavy weight or lure from his rod, aiming at their head, or throw a rope tied to a tree with a treble hook at the end and try to catch the back of their boat, throwing all the occupants into the water.

While it's rude and inconsiderate to run your boat close to the shore when there are people banking it, acts of violence that can cause serious injury are hardly the solution.

What if you did tie on a 4 oz teardrop weight and cast directly at that boat, and took the person's eye out? What if you were 3 feet off in your cast and ended up injuring or blinding the guy's wife or young child? What if you really did manage to hook his boat with a rope tied to a tree, threw everyone into the water, and someone drowned? Is inflicting physical injury on somebody really worth it? (Not to mention the lengthy prison sentence you would receive for such a malicious act)

People weren't attacking him for being upset because there were inconsiderate boaters. Most of us have been in that situation (the guy on the bank) and it sucks. He was getting attacked for condoning acts of violence which is often frowned upon in this forum by newbies and "good-ol-boys" alike.

C

ChezJfrey

I think that the main problem people had with his "rant" was the fact that he was condoning violence on boaters who crossed too close to his setup. He mentioned that he would fling a heavy weight or lure from his rod, aiming at their head, or throw a rope tied to a tree with a treble hook at the end and try to catch the back of their boat, throwing all the occupants into the water.

While it's rude and inconsiderate to run your boat close to the shore when there are people banking it, acts of violence that can cause serious injury are hardly the solution.

What if you did tie on a 4 oz teardrop weight and cast directly at that boat, and took the person's eye out? What if you were 3 feet off in your cast and ended up injuring or blinding the guy's wife or young child? What if you really did manage to hook his boat with a rope tied to a tree, threw everyone into the water, and someone drowned? Is inflicting physical injury on somebody really worth it? (Not to mention the lengthy prison sentence you would receive for such a malicious act)

People weren't attacking him for being upset because there were inconsiderate boaters. Most of us have been in that situation (the guy on the bank) and it sucks. He was getting attacked for condoning acts of violence which is often frowned upon in this forum by newbies and "good-ol-boys" alike.

I hadn't actually read the 'rant' and if what you describe was the content, I am not sure 'regulation' adherence is in order, but moreso common sense and human decency...you are correct, n8r1, ascribing that type of behavior (hucking heavy lead and such) as potentially lethal.

S

Subacca

I would be all for it if the regulation trolls were actually replying to people who were in fact gill netting and gaffing steelhead but seriously when is the last time the trolls had a playground of a thread like that to play in? We all understand why the regulations are the way they are but what I was refering to is the people that feel the need to act like they are the ethical police on the matter and in over half of the threads I've read where this has happened they are actually wrong about their claims. There is a big difference between throwing regulations at people and offering friendly advice. :rolleyes:

People are so quick to attack on here..and most of the time it is just taking things out of context and being overly dramatic...like taking my comment to mean that I am against regulations and people should be able to do whatever they want including gillnetting steelhead or something of that nature...seriously? perfect example of being a little dramatic. or people attacking this guy for saying he would chuck a heavy weight at somebody who came to close to shore in thread labeled as a RANT? a RANT..I really find it hard to believe that people would take it literally, just let people get things off their chest sometimes, seriously.

C

chrisohm

Banned User
Sabucca - I agree, there are many on here who like to attack, poke fun at your spelling or grammar and other who are chest beating gorillas. They just have to have someone's pot to pee in other than their own. Ignore them or just let them be right in their heads. There are also moments where they get in on the joke and everything gets taken out of context as you stated. Just focus on your fishing and if you ask for help mention that only serious people should reply. Send out a PM to individuals who seem to really know their stuff and are willing to help. Use your block/ignore function on those who seem to be too much trouble or just plain annoying. As for Hagg, there are better places to fish than a high school pep rally! Let them have their boat show while you find yourself a honey spot and share some pics on the pigs you'll be getting!!

H

HaggAssassin

Yeah, chrisohm's right, find your hole, share what puts fish on the stringer, have some fun, crack a cold one, fish more, type less... and darnit, take pictures of that hog....Even if it's a lil ole gillie:) IMAG0280.jpg IMAG0283.jpg

C

Callaway

do you know what a RANT is? its when you let off frustration, i fish from the shore do you really think im gonna carry a big enough treble style hook and enough rope to catch a moving boat and tie it off to a tree BEFORE it pulls me into the water or rips my hand off? get real dude it was a RANT , i was letting out frustration retard. im sorry you took it SOOOOO serious that these things were ACTUALLY going to happen.
yes, i will throw a heavyweight bass jig at anyones boat if your being a jerk and drifting over my lines or any of my fishing buddies lines that are stuck on shore when you have the whole lake.
but as far as everything else is concerned it was a HYPOTHETICAL RANT!!! what dont you people get about that? honestly have none of you EVER said youd LIKE to do something or WOULD do something that you knew you wernt gonna do but were frustrated or stressed or trying to make a cynical joke? if so then come on over and teach me how to walk on water like you.

C

Callaway

let me just say for everyone on here who did get it and has said encouraging words instead of taking things WAY out of proportion, thank you very much !
and for Subacca, chrisohm, and haggassassin you guys have my word theres gonna be lots of exploring and trying to find new spots this summer and ill be posting pics of whatever it is wherever it is
thanks for the kind words and uplifting advice and Subacca thanks for understanding that it was a rant and just that and trying to help shovel the crap

C

chrisohm

Banned User
That's what I like to hear!! Also, never apologize for a rant. That is why they exist, to vent out your frustrations. If someone gets upset, tell them to wear a dress. That's what my fishing buddies and I say, "Are you whining for a new dress?" or "You would look adorable in something lacy and pink right now!" Just keep in mind that a rant on a public forum is gonna ruffle some feathers so make sure you brought enough to skin the bird. I would never cast gear out to some jack on a boat, that stuff costs money....maybe a rock from a slingshot...or a few well placed paint balls.