Northwest beginner

kidholiday
kidholiday
OK this redneck from AZ is trying to do some salmon and steelie fishing. I have tried a couple of times but only one jack last fall on a 6'6" bass rod and a pink rooster tail. (Was lucky and know it). I currently have 9'6" spinning rod and would like some better tips on bobber and jig fishing and other ways to fish for the beasties. I have learned up here that not too many people will give up locals of their honey holes but i would love it if someone could direct me to an area near portland that does well enough for a beginner. Also with good bank access as I don't have a boat. Thanks. :pray:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Archives are bulging with info

Archives are bulging with info

kidholiday;
Sorry you got no response to your question. If you're not against traveling an hour or two you should check out our area down south of you. Now,I am no expert by any stretch of anyone's imagination. But I know where to find info from those that are. Check out previous posts in this section under "Santiam bank access" by Kodiak. Talk about giving up honeyholes!!:shock: You will be amazed by how much detail he gave out for the less experienced. :D There are other great posts by members in your area and down in southern Oregon as well. Check them out and you will be one busy fisher folk. Happy fishing!
Be safe.
Barb

J
JeannaJigs
I don't know the area up there, as I live in Eugene...but I'm all about floats and jigs :) love 'em. Have you used a float and jig before? Real easy set up. float stop, bead, float, swivel, 18-24" leader, jig. weight can be adjusted and added as necessary based on water conditions.

This has some good basic jig rigging info.

Bobber or Float Fishing for Salmon & Steelhead - Piscatorial Pursuits Guides & Charters

it's really a very easy method, and it's proven.

I
I Grade
I could sit here and tell you about every meat hole on the Clack that I know of and you would still not catch anything if you didn't develop your technique first. This time of year I would suggest using spoons and spinners for fishing the Clack or Sandy. Use size #3/#4 brass finishes this time of year since the sun is out pretty good. You can use silver finishes on overcast days or when the water is dirty or littered. Jigs are fun as well and you dont lose as much gear. I suck at jig fishing so I dont often do it, but I see people have great luck with that technique. Just remember to fish whatever your technique is confidently, otherwise you might as well throw boulders in the water.

I Grade

kidholiday
kidholiday
:think:Thanks for the help! I know up here most are not willing to help beginners out. I did try a float and jig last Jan with no luck but hey I understand that I will be still figuring it out even after I start to catch any. I will be hitting the Sandy around the Oxbow possibly next week. :pray:

V
VagrantAngler
I don't think it's a matter of people not wanting to help out a beginner... I just usually don't feel I know enough to chime in. If you have a Monday off and want to learn a few places on the Clackamas, I'll show you a few of the places I walk around.
The Sandy I'm still very, very unfamiliar with. I have a couple of spots I know how to get to but only two fish caught. Probably a direct correlation to the amount of time put in;)

J
Justluck
I'm new at this style of fishing as well, but will tell ya, most everyone that I have met out on the river have been more than helpful in trying to figure out how to salmon/steelhead fish. Most bank access places are listed throughout these forums if you look hard enough, and most of the regulars on this forum will get you headed in the right direction. Good luck bud!

T
Troutier Bassier
HaHaHa,
I know some people at Sandy fish at Lewis and Clark park. Under the bridge they drift Jigs.

kidholiday
kidholiday
Tomorrow I am going to be heading to the Oxbow to do a little float and jig fishing. I am just going to work on my technique mainly but hopefully I will pick up one or two. :think:

K
Kodiak
Welcome to OFF. Sorry it took so long to find the thread. There are so many techniques to catching steelies. Learning to bobber and jig is great..a lot of the same techniques will also apply to dinging chinook on bobber and eggs. If you ever head down to the Santiams PM me, be more than happy to help you learn and show you around.

kidholiday
kidholiday
I went to Oxbow. I could not find them. Oh well it was a great day out and I tried to learn a little. I also headed to Dodge park, same results but added one lost spinner in the ripples. I will get them eventually.

kidholiday
kidholiday
I am thinking in a couple of weeks of heading ro McIver park to try some spinner fishing for Steelies, any idea what colors to use?

M
metalmania
kidholiday said:
I am thinking in a couple of weeks of heading ro McIver park to try some spinner fishing for Steelies, any idea what colors to use?[/QUOTE

brass and pink no. 4's have been the most productive for me lately.

C
cchinook
kid holiday

kid holiday

I hale from Tucson way back in the day - never looked back - no fish there -
you now live in Paradise -

kidholiday
kidholiday
You just didn't know. I am from Tucson born and raised. I have caught so many fish there that I lost count. We had several trips to Roosevelt where we caught over 100 crappie each weighing around the 2lb mark and that didn't include the bass. HMMM I miss it.

F
FishSchooler
kidholiday said:
You just didn't know. I am from Tucson born and raised. I have caught so many fish there that I lost count. We had several trips to Roosevelt where we caught over 100 crappie each weighing around the 2lb mark and that didn't include the bass. HMMM I miss it.

psst... I think cchinook means salmon and steelhead... ;)