NorthFork Santiam Crackersville!!!!

K
Kodiak
:mad: I was fortunate enough to catch up with Raincatcher this morning for a quick shot at some metal on the NFS. After an hor of pestering the only steelie we could see Raincatcher lobbed a long shot with a spinner across the river and in about two cranks a rather large bad attitude shot out from between the rocks and torpeadod her spinner:shock:. About three headshakes later as the fish turned to run and then%^&#@% @!@%#$^ !#$$%#$^:shock::shock: I would of never guessed such language would come from such a sweet lady.....LOLJk Barb took it rather well. We came to the conclusion that a knot malfunction robbed her of her metal. I then went back to the steelie at hand and after a few more casts drifting some black and pink it was fish on. Immeaditley upon hookup the fish ran about 50 yrds of line down stream turned ran at me with the speed that most formula 1 drivers would envy, summer saulted then ended at my feet, two more smaller runs and the fish was within spitting distance and sliding nicely to shore when the hook slid out of his mouth. Remarkably the fish slid back into his holding spot like nothing happened!! 6 casts later, mouth opens, gills flare, Line snaps tight and ...Fish one I had him on for only moments again but the same fish on ...TWICE! I'm going back to spinners drifting is too easy.

So now a Question for all of you..What is the best knot for tying braided lineto terminal gear? Lets help Raincatcher bank more metal with better knots.

F
FishSchooler
Kodiak said:
What is the best knot for tying braided lineto terminal gear? Lets help Raincatcher bank more metal with better knots.

Palomar! (dont forget to moisten it, or else you'll have the same results)

B
beaverfan
the fish'n'fool knot!

T
Troutier Bassier
You dont need to Moisten Braided line! Only Mono/Florocarbon

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
The silent ballet is beautiful!

The silent ballet is beautiful!

heh,heh That was quite a rush! :D Let's go back a bit before my hook up,though. What Kodiak isn't telling you is that he can spot a fish lying amongst thousands of fishy looking rocks. :shock: I looked at the same bunch of rocks and saw,rocks! :doh: He patiently pointed the fish out to me several times and I did manage to drop the hook down over his butt a few times due to miscalculations. I was using one of TCO's mini spinners when mine took it home with him/her. We saw that it was solidly in the mouth while I was reeling in my limp line. I did use some very unladylike language,but didn't think he heard me. :redface: Sorry. As I was putting another TCO spinner on my line I watched in amazement as Kodiak took a beautiful fish to school. It was like he was dancing a silent ballet with that fish. He gently guided it around the rocks and then let it run a bit and started the amazing ballet over until he lead it to the bank. Well,it was within a few feet and then the fish took Kodiak to school on the short bus. :lol: We were both shocked when it spit the hook. :shock: And then he hooked it again! Amazing! :cool: I can't seem to catch one all season and he catches the same fish twice. The world is out of balance somewhere for that to happen. :confused::lol:
I did use the Palomar Knot as I have for the past few years. This is the first failure. Autofisher is teaching me new knots and the one I am working on is the fish-n-fool knot. I just haven't fished with it yet,but I am practicing and will conquer not only the knots but also those slimey lil fishes!
Thanks,Kodiak for the lesson and immeasurable help in learning more about my favorite sport. :clap: You are a true gentleman of the sport. :clap::clap:

M
metalmania
Sorry about the lost fish you guys, but atleast you got a fight out of them. And Kodiak, how the heck do you hook the same fish twice? It's hard enough gettin them to bite in gin clear water but the same fish twice, that's amazing:D.

J
JeannaJigs
crap now i'm going to be worried about knot failure with my braid lol. so far I have been tying my own funky little modified version of the modified clinch knot, and it's been solid, but, I wonder. Though I haven't lost anything yet. That's amazing that the same fish was on twice, I've done that with half brain damaged hatchery trout before, but you would think a steelhead had a little more sense, but perhaps not lol. At least you guys got into some feesh!

H
here2fish
Kodiak said:
:mad: I was fortunate enough to catch up with Raincatcher this morning for a quick shot at some metal on the NFS. After an hor of pestering the only steelie we could see Raincatcher lobbed a long shot with a spinner across the river and in about two cranks a rather large bad attitude shot out from between the rocks and torpeadod her spinner:shock:. About three headshakes later as the fish turned to run and then%^&#@% @!@%#$^ !#$$%#$^:shock::shock: I would of never guessed such language would come from such a sweet lady.....LOLJk Barb took it rather well. We came to the conclusion that a knot malfunction robbed her of her metal. I then went back to the steelie at hand and after a few more casts drifting some black and pink it was fish on. Immeaditley upon hookup the fish ran about 50 yrds of line down stream turned ran at me with the speed that most formula 1 drivers would envy, summer saulted then ended at my feet, two more smaller runs and the fish was within spitting distance and sliding nicely to shore when the hook slid out of his mouth. Remarkably the fish slid back into his holding spot like nothing happened!! 6 casts later, mouth opens, gills flare, Line snaps tight and ...Fish one I had him on for only moments again but the same fish on ...TWICE! I'm going back to spinners drifting is too easy.

So now a Question for all of you..What is the best knot for tying braided lineto terminal gear? Lets help Raincatcher bank more metal with better knots.

dont. just tie some flouracarbon or mono onto the braid with a blood knot.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I keep telling people to try out the fish-n-fool knot because it seriously will not break! Its been proven to be the strongest knot after using it for a while now it is perfect!

Give it a try Barb, if a steelhead breaks you off with it, I will send you a steelhead jig. :D

F
FishSchooler
If the knot is stronger than your line, and you have a very tight snag, you might be wasting tons of line and leaving tons of line in the river, as it wont break at the knot. I have never had trouble with the Trilene (IC knot is the same knot), and if it snags, it breaks off right where I want it to!

K
Kodiak
metalmania said:
. And Kodiak, how the heck do you hook the same fish twice?

What can I say.....my pimp meter was stuck on 10 today.:lol:..The fish never paniced when he got loose from the hook....just went right back to where I hooked him at. He chased my pink and black on casts 3 and 4 laid back on 5 and six grabbed it as it went OVER it. It looked like it was actively feeding on small bugs..darting six inches left or right to snatch something out of the water. Just a trout eatin bugs..twice!

Last edited by a moderator:
F
fishnquest
Great story. I'd be tempted to break out the super glue after something like that:lol:

T
tbox
I use the palomar knot except I loop the line through the eye of the hook twice in the beginning. Its a bit tricky to hold all the loops but it seems to be quite a bit stronger, plus the braid still keeps a low profile, and its easy to remember.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing

tbox;
Thanks for the tip. I will try to work it into the other knots. If I get "tied up" I can only hope someone finds me soon. :lol::lol:

H
Hooked on fishin'
I always use a mono or flouro leader tied on my braid with a blood knot, then a palomar or fish n fool to my hook or hardware, seems to be the ticket for me.

B
bigfootfish
North Santiam Crackersville?

North Santiam Crackersville?

Sounds like you guys had a time of it. Welcome to the Santiam River System. I grew up on these rivers, and what y'all have just experienced has happened to me about 500 times in the past 40 years.:lol::dance::clap::shock:
BFF