North Umpqua shines

B
bluefoxfan
Fished the North Umpqua below Rock creek today. The day started out gray and a little cool, looked ideal for fishing. Fished all morning and only fish was a 14" maybe baby steelhead on a red Wiggle Wart. (see pic) About noon the sun came out and so did the fish. Had a 5 pounder on a silver Wiggle Wart that managed to slip off the hook. About 1 pm I was casting into some rapids and I landed a 23" steelie on a black Blue Fox. 10 mintues later I changed to a Blue Fox with a black sparklie body and nickle blade that has a touch on green on it. Both were #4's, and a hard fighting 27" found that second spinner hard to resist. I like the Blue Fox because they're easy to find and not to expensive. They seem to run well for me. I like to throw them up stream and just get them to turn over and run them straight down steam. That's how I caught both of these fish. Sorry my pic was self timed and got sun blurred.

Last edited by a moderator:
S
steelhead_stalkers
Good technique for spinner fishing! Good job out there.

M
Mike123
Sweet nice fish! I really want to fish that river someday soon...

That's the same way I fish spinners! DEADLY!

That first small fish is a cutthroat btw. :)

Troutski
Troutski
Nice job...

Nice job...

Steelhead fever...nice work with the spinners.Very nice pictures for being by yourself, thanks for the post. I must admit it got my blood pressure up, thinking of the Winter run in my area. Thanks again

Chuck

S
SNDSLGR
Nice! I grew up in Roseburg on the South Umpqua and often fished the North. My vacation on Labor day will be spent down there with family and hopefully chasing fish around the North.

Its been awhile, how will the fishing be the week after Labor day? Late steel and early fall nooks sound about right?

M
Mad dog
Mike123 said:
Sweet nice fish! I really want to fish that river someday soon...

That's the same way I fish spinners! DEADLY!

That first small fish is a cutthroat btw. :)

Dead on Mike!!! :clap: That 14" fish is a cutthroat! Nice little fish!!! :clap:

Good job Bluefox fan!!! Thinking about giving it a couple of hours in the mourning myself! Anyone that knows what is going on with the Umpqua river steelhead this season knows how difficult it has been this season! Whatever your doing Bluefox Fan....your doing it well!!!....Carry on!!! :clap:

M
Mad dog
SNDSLGR said:
Nice! I grew up in Roseburg on the South Umpqua and often fished the North. My vacation on Labor day will be spent down there with family and hopefully chasing fish around the North.

Its been awhile, how will the fishing be the week after Labor day? Late steel and early fall nooks sound about right?

Fall Chinook are at the forks right now!!! By Labor Day....I would fish Fall chinook on the Main!!!

S
SNDSLGR
I really never have fished the main, besides shad down by Tyee. Any hot tips?