North Umpqua River, Swiftwater Park

M
mahmichael
Hi all,

It's been a while (4 month!) that I've not gone anywhere for fishing. The coming weekend we're planing to stay close to swiftwater park (east of Glide). I'll have a couple fishing enthusiast with me and I have to catch something! We'll be going after trout (because that's easier!). I checked th ODFW website and nowhere close is being (or was stocked) recently. So rivers are my only option. Could you guys recommend somewhere with a higher chance of catching a fish? We'll be using lures.
Is swiftwater park area too crowded these days?

Thank you

troutdude
troutdude
Good to see you posting again Mike. Looking forward, to your report. Good luck & tight lines!

M
Mad dog
mahmichael said:
Hi all,

It's been a while (4 month!) that I've not gone anywhere for fishing. The coming weekend we're planing to stay close to swiftwater park (east of Glide). I'll have a couple fishing enthusiast with me and I have to catch something! We'll be going after trout (because that's easier!). I checked th ODFW website and nowhere close is being (or was stocked) recently. So rivers are my only option. Could you guys recommend somewhere with a higher chance of catching a fish? We'll be using lures.
Is swiftwater park area too crowded these days?

Thank you

Swiftwater hasn't been crowded at all, salmon fishing is over for the summer and the steelhead fishing has been so poor that most of the regulars have given up! Low, warm water has pretty much killed the fishing in that area for now. Swiftwater park is really poor for trout, you would do much better fishing above Tokatee reservoir, or above Lemolo reservoir if you are after trout.

D
dtikey
for stocker trout in that area I would check out the for-bays mainly clear water for-bay above tokatee and if chasing browns fish tokatee as mad dog said.

M
Mad dog
dtikey said:
for stocker trout in that area I would check out the for-bays mainly clear water for-bay above tokatee and if chasing browns fish tokatee as mad dog said.

In fact, I know someone that camped at forebay 2 for 4 days last week and fish were being caught!

M
Mad dog
Another thought....head up little river road to Hemlock lake....fishing has been decent! Maybe 30 miles from Glide?

M
mahmichael
Thank you guys.
Mad Dog, when you say above the Toketee lake, what do you mean? upstream of the lake?
I also found several Forebays! Do you mean number 2 forebay dam on the Lemolo lake?
Or the clearwater number one forebay east of Toketee lake?!!

And also does Hemlock lake is being stocked? Does the lake have accessible banks?!

One more question! How about Rock creek (close to the hatchery)? Any fish there?!!
And Diamond lake?!!

Sorry guys, I asked a lot of questions! Thank you very much.

M
Mad dog
mahmichael said:
Thank you guys.
Mad Dog, when you say above the Toketee lake, what do you mean? upstream of the lake?
I also found several Forebays! Do you mean number 2 forebay dam on the Lemolo lake?
Or the clearwater number one forebay east of Toketee lake?!!

And also does Hemlock lake is being stocked? Does the lake have accessible banks?!

One more question! How about Rock creek (close to the hatchery)? Any fish there?!!
And Diamond lake?!!

Sorry guys, I asked a lot of questions! Thank you very much.

Ya...I mean all that!!! Above Tokatee....I know a PPL employee that lived there for a # of years and the fishing can be good...usually is! Above Lemolo...pretty good! Forebay #2....hit or miss....it can be tough right after stocking if you don't know what you are doing! Hemlock....one of the best trout lakes in the Umpqua basin!

M
mahmichael
Thank you Mad Dog,
I checked the ODFW website and apparently they are going to stock it this week! Any good place I should go? I'm thinking maybe the north boat ramp area?!

Have you heard anything about Rock creek? Any place to fish?!!

Thanks! :)

M
Mad dog
mahmichael said:
Thank you Mad Dog,
I checked the ODFW website and apparently they are going to stock it this week! Any good place I should go? I'm thinking maybe the north boat ramp area?!

Have you heard anything about Rock creek? Any place to fish?!!

Thanks! :)

You guys must be camping at millpond....you keep asking about Rock creek. I know it is closed between the river and the hatchery, I don't know if it's open above there or not? Don't know anyone that fishes it.

Reactions: mahmichael