North Santium fly

P
pdxstruve
Hi all.

Taking a break from the rivers around Portland and was thinking about hitting the North Fork of the Santium on Sunday. Did some research on the forum and picked up some good pointers. A few questions though. I was going to try some bank area around Stayton and then maybe hit the Rest Area under the bridge and then a bit West from there. Does anyone know where the North Fork starts? I know that the North is open for trout and the South is not. Just want to make sure I am following the regs. Also...any recommendations for flies in these two areas? Never been on the river. Looks like a nice one. Any help would be appreciated.

Tight lines...
Brian

troutdude
troutdude
pdxstruve said:
I know that the North is open for trout and the South is not. Just want to make sure I am following the regs.

Welcome to the forum. We'll look forward to your reports n' pics.

One thing though...unless I am misreading the reg book...the North Santiam, is NOT open for trout fishing, until April 26th (above Big Cliff / Detroit reservoirs). And from Big Cliff's dam, and downstream to the main stem, does not open until May 24th. (page 57, of the 2014 reg book)

Good luck, and tight lines.

P.S. In case you were asking about the Little North Fork; it also is not open for trout until May 24th.

Reactions: Raincatcher
P
pdxstruve
Thanks Patrick... I must have misunderstood what I saw online. Will be hitting that here soon enough then!

C
capblack
the confluence of the north and south santiam is just above jefferson, so above that is north or south, and below that is the mainstem

P
pdxstruve
thanks!

troutdude
troutdude
IDK who Patrick is; but you're welcome nonetheless.

M
MadDog
troutdude said:
IDK who Patrick is; but you're welcome nonetheless.

I think someone hasn't read any Patrick McManus books yet. Do yourself a favor pdxstruve and go to Powell's and buy a couple of his books. Really enjoyed his writing.

troutdude
troutdude
MadDog said:
I think someone hasn't read any Patrick McManus books yet. Do yourself a favor pdxstruve and go to Powell's and buy a couple of his books. Really enjoyed his writing.

Forgot that his name, is in my tag line!

Yes...MD is right. Get some of Patrick's books! They are truly hysterical!

P
pdxstruve
Thanks MadDog and Troutdude. Always looking for good fishing reads. Just finished reading The Longest Silence by Thomas McGuane. Great Fly Fishing collection of essays. Highly recommend as well. Tight lines guys.