North Santiam

F
Fish
Hey Everyone,

Is it worth bank fishing anywhere on the N. Santiam, more specifically the Mill City area this time of year? I mainly fly fish and throw spoons, but I am willing to take any suggestions. I'm not looking for your favorite hole (unless you want to share!), just want to know if it's a total waste of time or not. I'll be heading out to the coast in a few weeks, but would like to slay some leftover summer steelies or anything other fish that might be on the bite.

Cheers!

Ps. We're living right on the river in Mill City and walking distance to the foot/old rail car bridge.

A
adamg
Fish said:
Hey Everyone,

Is it worth bank fishing anywhere on the N. Santiam, more specifically the Mill City area this time of year? I mainly fly fish and throw spoons, but I am willing to take any suggestions. I'm not looking for your favorite hole (unless you want to share!), just want to know if it's a total waste of time or not. I'll be heading out to the coast in a few weeks, but would like to slay some leftover summer steelies or anything other fish that might be on the bite.

Cheers!

Ps. We're living right on the river in Mill City and walking distance to the foot/old rail car bridge.

the low and warm water really hit the valley rivers hard this summer, the santiams specifically. that coupled with the virtually non-existent summer steelhead returns this year has made fishing there a waste of time for non-locals like me, but if you live on the river you've got nothing to lose. i also hear there are some big trout to be got there, chasing them might get you onto an surprise summer steelhead.

G
Gary W
If you want to get a head start on steelhead. First place I would go would be the boat ramp in Jefferson. Then work my way up with the fish.

F
Fish
Gary W said:
If you want to get a head start on steelhead. First place I would go would be the boat ramp in Jefferson. Then work my way up with the fish.

Thanks for the tip.

Is there decent bank access around that area?

I'll start scoping it out in my truck and see what's available.

There's always a little adventure when exploring a new river!

A
autofisher
There are a number of spots on the North Santiam that can get you into fish, most of the State Parks, Jefferson boat ramp, and even down to the rest area at I-5. My suggestion would be to check out some of the older posts on the forum, because if I remember correctly, there are some very informative threads that will pretty much give you straight up information to the point of telling you which rock to cast from. Check out North Santiam State park, it's easy access and has some really good water to fish sometimes.

F
Fish
autofisher said:
There are a number of spots on the North Santiam that can get you into fish, most of the State Parks, Jefferson boat ramp, and even down to the rest area at I-5. My suggestion would be to check out some of the older posts on the forum, because if I remember correctly, there are some very informative threads that will pretty much give you straight up information to the point of telling you which rock to cast from. Check out North Santiam State park, it's easy access and has some really good water to fish sometimes.

Thanks.