North Santiam with TCO Part 2!

K
Kodiak
So Osmosis and I hit the northfork Santiam yesterday to test the power of santiam steelies. North fork santiam fish are beyond picky, stubborn and mean. If you want to test your metal skills, this is place to do it! At long last Osmosis has found a river that won't turn up a limit in an hour. These fish tested our skills, both in deception, in, battle, and some new colors for mini's this winter.:dance::clap: Osmosis dinged a nice steelie, and later I smoked a decent buck nook, and then nailed his twin sister this morning!

F
FishSchooler
Do you happen to hand spinners colored like that out on halloween? I have never seen anything like that. :clap:

K
Kodiak
FishSchooler said:
Do you happen to hand spinners colored like that out on halloween? I have never seen anything like that. :clap:

That would be the harley davidson comemrative series..hehe!..now If I could just get them to sign off on them!

M
metalmania
Nice job guys:clap:. Hope you two are leaving a few behind for everyone else:lol:.

O
osmosis
That was a fun fish - backflips, corkscrews, and runs, talk about angry steelhead. out of the water over a half dozen times in the couple minutes it took to land him. I was palming my spool seriously hard to try and keep him up in the hole so that he didn't wrap me around the log that he kept trying to get to.
Not often that I worry about 9/10lb steelhead breaking 8lb leader but that fish had it cross my mind.

Those TCO spinners sure piss fish off! As always had a good time fishin with you and TCO spinners Kodiak.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Good job guys!! I know what you mean about hot mean fish, yesterday Daniel and I hooked six steelhead and went home with a skunk! The summers on the McKenzie are very mean as well. Two steelhead swimming around with spinners in their mouth and a third with roe on its lip :)

The fish were around 10 lbs and the last one Daniel hooked jumped about four feet in the air with the spinner hanging out its mouth, then proceeded to jump three more times after just to show us how big he was. Its amazing how fast one of these hot fish can snap line.

Spinners are sure producing fish! :clap:

Also, we found a "kodiak special" spinner on the bottom of the river!

Last edited:
C
catphish
nice fish guys. dig that harley coloring. good job hiding your face osmo.

K
Kodiak
osmosis said:
That was a fun fish - backflips, corkscrews, and runs, talk about angry steelhead. out of the water over a half dozen times in the couple minutes it took to land him. I was palming my spool seriously hard to try and keep him up in the hole so that he didn't wrap me around the log that he kept trying to get to.
Not often that I worry about 9/10lb steelhead breaking 8lb leader but that fish had it cross my mind.

Those TCO spinners sure piss fish off! As always had a good time fishin with you and TCO spinners Kodiak.

It was fun watching that steelie go balistic. Hiding in the shade then leaping air born. I'm thinking I should run up and have a clack invasion with some new colors....just to see if they work on clack fish..purely in the interest of science, of course.:lol:

R
rainman
Yo Kodiak, this is Rainman. I met you fishing there in Mill City this morning. Was nice to meet you, and thanks again for the 'local hole' tips you gave so freely. Mighty nice of you man.
I plan on being back there tomorrow morning, and Friday if I can swing it. Watching those 2 guys across the way tag out in 45 minutes sure got my interest. One of them jumped a fair amount too. The fish I mean !!

K
koboabe
nice work.
does the color really come into play with the UV based paint?
or is it just a glow that they see.

Still waiting on my TCO Spinners, but in the end I will prob end up donating them all to the might clackamas. hopefully I will catch at least one fish.
I have already tossed so much hardware into that damn river.

O
osmosis
There are several different colors of UV that kodiak uses, its not quite comparable to glow. I feel it makes a difference for sure.

We all donate our fair share of hardware to that river. It's a big snaggy boulder field and if you arent down near the bottom you're wasting your time (for the most part) so it's sorta hand in hand.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I can definitely see how the UV color would work really well, especially for salmon and steelhead in certain conditions. Salmon love chartreuse and for it to glow chartreuse could drive them crazy!

K
Kodiak
koboabe said:
nice work.
does the color really come into play with the UV based paint?
or is it just a glow that they see.

Still waiting on my TCO Spinners, but in the end I will prob end up donating them all to the might clackamas. hopefully I will catch at least one fish.
I have already tossed so much hardware into that damn river.

How it works together is kinda like this, the fish see the inital flash off the blade like on any normal blade, they see the color on the blade and beads, then it has this "glowing halo" effect as specific parts of the blade reach a 30 degree angle and polerize. Throught the fishes life cycle it has many objects do this and most of them food. Around 50% of the fish you will catch on these spinners will be at 12:00 dead center in the mouth as they try to actually eat it.

Top Bottom