North Santiam trout

T
troutmagic
Anybody been fishing the north santiam above detroit for trout? Thinking about going up there this evening.
Thanks all!

P
Pita
I have a cabin there at Idanha and was up last week. Fishing is still excellent for another month or so by my place. The water is getting low but still productive! Have a great time!

T
troutmagic
Pita said:
I have a cabin there at Idanha and was up last week. Fishing is still excellent for another month or so by my place. The water is getting low but still productive! Have a great time!

Awesome! Any tips? I usually fish the Brietenbush when I'm over there.

P
Pita
I haven't fished the Breitenbush arm in about a month but balls-o-fire always do me fine this time of year, during all hours of the day on both stretches of the river. Also, dark brown rooster tails were working well last week at dusk.

If you want to avoid crowds and hook into some serious fighters, you might try crossing the river at Bruno Mtn. Road and walking downstream to fish the deep pools ... that's some really fun trout fishing water through there and you'll limit out in no time.

T
troutmagic
Pita said:
I haven't fished the Breitenbush arm in about a month but balls-o-fire always do me fine this time of year, during all hours of the day on both stretches of the river. Also, dark brown rooster tails were working well last week at dusk.

If you want to avoid crowds and hook into some serious fighters, you might try crossing the river at Bruno Mtn. Road and walking downstream to fish the deep pools ... that's some really fun trout fishing water through there and you'll limit out in no time.

That's great. Yes, balls o fire are a great standby for sure. Is Bruno Mt road above or below idahna? I would love to avoid the crowds.
Thanks again.

P
Pita
troutmagic said:
That's great. Yes, balls o fire are a great standby for sure. Is Bruno Mt road above or below idahna? I would love to avoid the crowds.
Thanks again.
Its about a mile or two above Idanha. Be careful cuz the actual TRAIL sits about 50-75 feet up the bank as opposed to the goat path that runs next to the water. If you're lure fishing, the river is so clear and shallow right now that the darker and smaller you go, the better I think...

Let me know how it goes!

T
troutmagic
Thanks Pita, I will let you know.

H
hendrixfan
I fished Bruno Mtn Road on a trip back from central OR a little less than a month ago, and caught fish on nearly every cast. It was an over cast day but I used a home made #2 sized green body / nickle blade. Good Luck!

IMG00024-20090806-1002.jpg

M
Michael
Pita said:

I would love to fish here. I'm a little new though.. would you mind helping me out with a little directions? I'm coming from Salem, so do I just head down 22 and turn on breitenbush til I find Bruno Mtn road? Then look up 50 - 75 feet for the true path and follow that down stream to the deeper pools?

Any info you can give would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you so much.

K
Kodiak
Saying this one time...Northfork is CLOSED until april 24th. this includes catch and release of trout above detroit. They are releasing smolt above detroit as part of an ongoing survival study over detroit and big cliff dams. I have made easily a 1/2 dozen calls to T.I.P. over the last week. So far five have been issued tickets. Holster it another week and a half will ya?

M
Michael
Kodiak said:
Saying this one time...Northfork is CLOSED until april 24th. this includes catch and release of trout above detroit. They are releasing smolt above detroit as part of an ongoing survival study over detroit and big cliff dams. I have made easily a 1/2 dozen calls to T.I.P. over the last week. So far five have been issued tickets. Holster it another week and a half will ya?

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the warning. I knew it was closed. I've just got the pre-season jitters and so I'm reading, doing my research, and getting prepared.

Last edited:
R
RLK
Michael said:
I would love to fish here. I'm a little new though.. would you mind helping me out with a little directions? I'm coming from Salem, so do I just head down 22 and turn on breitenbush til I find Bruno Mtn road? Then look up 50 - 75 feet for the true path and follow that down stream to the deeper pools?

Any info you can give would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you so much.

head east on hwy 22 bruno mtn rd will be on your right about a mile or two passed idanha.

M
Michael
RLK said:
head east on hwy 22 bruno mtn rd will be on your right about a mile or two passed idanha.

Thanks man... I went out today looking and I found it.

Appreciate the post.

troutdude
troutdude
Kodiak said:

Good job Kodiak! If peeps aren't wise enough to READ the REG's, then they DESERVE to be ticketed!