North Santiam River above Detorit for Kokanee ?

J
JeepsAreBuilt
I heard that the Kokanee in Detroit lake goes up the North Santiam river to spawn this time of the year. Is this good info ? I was thinking of going up to that area this weekend and see if I can find any spots to fish. I dont know the area at all. Do the spawing Kokanee bite ? Any tips on spots would be appreciated. I plan to swing flies and nymphs.

S
sapo
Never heard of kokanee fishing up above Detroit..but from what I know about kokanee, which is little, spawning kokanee don't really bite. Not sure about this, but from what I've heard it's hard to get them to bite.

You'll probably end up snagging more than you will catching if you swing flies...

Maybe someone else will chime in. Just saw an article about catching kokanee preparing to spawn on a fly rod, so it may be possible.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I have never heard of anyone fishing for kokanee in their spawning rivers.

B
Big3d
Fishing for any salmon is illegal there. Just a warning.

O
OnTheDrop
Kokanee, like any spawning Salmon, are VERY aggressive. Though, it's unethical targeting them while they are doing their business. I encounter them in Central Oregon while fly fishing for big Browns. 12" Kokes hammer the 7" streamers.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Well, I don't know if you can reach the Kokanee from shore, I've always thought they stay around 40' deep, or how strong your casting arm is, but there are basically no boat ramps open anywhere on the lake. They just closed the Mongold boat ramp due to extremely low water this week. Walking down to the water is a challenge, too. The first 100 yards will be okay, but after that it turns to deep, sticky muck. The water in most places is 150-300 yards from parking lots and boat ramps. Be careful out there.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Big3d said:
Fishing for any salmon is illegal there. Just a warning.

while I would like to discourage fishing for spawning kokanee (or an spawning fish for that matter) and consider it unethical, I am not sure if it is illegal until the end of October. In the Regs, atlantic salmon and kokanee are considered trout (page 7) and in most streams trout are open until Oct. 31. Snagging or attempting to snag any fish is always illegal anywhere in Oregon.

B
Big3d
That could be the case Roger, I am not sure if they fall in the salmon category, I just know it says very straight forward that salmon fishing in that stretch is illegal. Can't imagine any other salmon being around those parts because of the 2 beastly dams. If koks are considered trout then you are right it is technically ok, but still...

J
JeepsAreBuilt
Thanks for the replies. How about general fishing in that area ? Any good fishing ? Or areas ?