North Santiam Questions

F
Fisherman.Z.
here are my questions:

Is it good to fish right now water level wise?

where should i fish and be successful from the shore?

what bait should i use, and what color corky/yarn?

and has anybody been doing good out there so far?

i ask so many questions...but its part of boyhood...! :lol:haha

K
Kodiak
No fish at all

No fish at all

Is it good to fish right now water level wise? It just dropped two feet over the last three days....we are crushing them right now.

where should i fish and be successful from the shore? From Mehama to packsaddle..lots of access, fish throughout the system.

what bait should i use, and what color corky/yarn? Springers have been on flame red or lime green corkie with eggs and prawns

D
davep
I fished the powerline drift a mahama yesterday afternoon....Hook 5 steelies, landed two...three on a spinner and two on a small (1/32) jig.....and a surprise nook on a spinner....the river is full of giant caddis nymphs and the fish are feeding on them in the shallows....jig color should be a immatation of them....what a blast....

C
Combat Chuck
Good timing of this thread since I'm looking for an excuse to not come to work on friday. The south Santiam is running high so I'm gonna use that as an excuse to explore the north. Is there a place on the way from albany or in the area to get sand shrimp? Anyone want to volunteer some help to a blind newbie who has never seen the river? :D Its gonna just be a lazy day... explore, make some casts, explore.

F
Fisherman.Z.
thanks a bunch. i think i may go up there sometime next week being that school will be out by then. and maybe after summer is up i will finally have conquered a santiam steely or springer! :D:cool::confused::( i hope so...:pray:

K
Kodiak
Z,Chuck, I will be available the morning of the 18th till about 1:00 pm if you can sneak away. That goes for anyone else. I would be willing to show the acess point and productive slots from Mehama/Lyons to the trap....A Lot of awesome water...maybe even hit a fish or three along the way!

J
juggernaut506
I haven't fished the North Santiam in a few years. I have to go check it out again soon to see if any of my favorite spots are still any good.

C
Combat Chuck
I will be working then but I did get to the river. Spent most of my time at Minto Park. I did catch lots of trout, they just weren't what I was hoping for.

Last edited by a moderator:
K
Kodiak
Combat Chuck said:
I will be working then but I did get to the river. Spent most of my time at Minto Park. I did catch lots of trout, they just weren't what I was hoping for.

Minto is tough some days.There are a couple of good slots in there though and they aren't very obvious. They are on the lower end of the park, not in the big hole. The steelheading above Mill city has been slow, some of the guides I know are complaining the steelies are keged up somewhere. Just rying to find them....Ive got a pretty good Idea where, they will hang there until the sun comes out and warms things up a bit.

C
Combat Chuck
Kodiak said:
Minto is tough some days.There are a couple of good slots in there though and they aren't very obvious. They are on the lower end of the park, not in the big hole. The steelheading above Mill city has been slow, some of the guides I know are complaining the steelies are keged up somewhere. Just rying to find them....Ive got a pretty good Idea where, they will hang there until the sun comes out and warms things up a bit.

That fits with what I saw, 1 big steelhead rise compared to 3 springers.

H
hendrixfan
Assuming I get off work tomorrow at 10am as scheduled I plan to head up tomorrow. Any thoughts on the best place to go? I am more hoping for steelhead, but am not too picky.

K
Kodiak
slow

slow

The steelie fishing where the most public access is has been slow but should pick up in next week or so. there are a few more springers showing up though!:D

H
hendrixfan
Well I gave it a shot, Santiam State Park, Fishermans Bend, and the Mehama bridge and nothing but a few small trout. I did talk to a guide at Mehama who had just drifted it and said they were skunked as well, and only saw one steelhead in the water down to Stayton.

Thanks for all the info though Kodiak.

K
Kodiak
Talked to a guide friend of mine today, said most of the steelies are from stayton to shelburn. All private property, no access:(

J
Johnny Southpaw
Kodiak said:
Talked to a guide friend of mine today, said most of the steelies are from stayton to shelburn. All private property, no access:(

Kodiak would you remind me how long it takes for Salmon to get from the falls to Mill City? Something like 18-24 days? Same for steelhead? Also, do you know an approximate figure for the percentage of fish crossing the falls that head up the Santiam vs. heading up to McKenzie? Thks.

K
Kodiak
Approxametly 55% make the left hand turn up the river, Approx 55% of that hits the south fork, and right at 15 to 16 days to Waterloo, 18-24, some of the old timers will tell you 28 days, to the bridge at mill city. It usually runs about the same for steelies, although they tend to move a little quicker.