North Santiam early next year

R
rainbowfisherman
I really like to go after trout on the north santiam. I only got to go out inlate august and september and a little bit of november. I prefer trout on my fly rod. So i believe that the river doesn't open until may23rd or 24tH. Is this correct? Thanks again.

Thanks
-Rainbowfisherman

B
bigfootfish
Now is ok for trout....

Now is ok for trout....

If you have a steelhead/salmon tag then you can go fishing on the N. Santiam today, up to BIg Cliff Dam. You just have to throw back any trout under 20 inches. And if a Game Warden asks you what you are fishing for make sure you tell the Warden steelhead.

Bff

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
hey bff on the big cliff do you fish right above the dam and climb over the guard rails last time i was there the ramp was closed below the dam,,,,,love your huddleston pond video i went there yesterday and got skunked but them big ones were jumpin....

B
bigfootfish
bigsteel, I've never fished right above the dam. I go up to the boatramp area and go up or down from there. You can fish right up to the base of Big Cliff on the downstream side, however. That's as far up as the steelhead and salmon can go, as there is no fish ladder at Big Cliff, if they can get up past Minto Dam Fish Trap downstream.
Glad you like the vids. Just trying to accomodate Anatoliy's request.

BFF

M
Mike123
bigfootfish said:
bigsteel, I've never fished right above the dam. I go up to the boatramp area and go up or down from there. You can fish right up to the base of Big Cliff on the downstream side, however. That's as far up as the steelhead and salmon can go, as there is no fish ladder at Big Cliff, if they can get up past Minto Dam Fish Trap downstream.
Glad you like the vids. Just trying to accomodate Anatoliy's request.

BFF

There are some NICE trout in that stretch below the dam... I've seen 20in trout eat butterflies off the surface there.. Also landed a few nice steelies on UL rods and 4lb test line there. Beautiful water..

R
rainbowfisherman
So do i just have to use like big flies? Big enough for steelhead? Is it very likely to have a big trout rise to a fly this time of year?

B
bigfootfish
Not a clue, RB.

BFF

R
RLK
rainbowfisherman said:
So do i just have to use like big flies? Big enough for steelhead? Is it very likely to have a big trout rise to a fly this time of year?

During the summer monthes it's all about the caddis

C
capblack
RLK since your in gates, maybe you can answer this for me. Is the boat ramp at big cliff open? can you still fish above it to the deadline? The last few times by there, I havent seen any rigs at the ramp, and everyone was fishing at the turnoff. welcome to the forum, Brian

R
RLK
As of saturday the boat ramp was still closed as is all public access up stream from the turn off. This is all due to Big Cliff dam repairs. I haven't heard when the repairs will be done. Thanks for the welcome, Rich