North Santiam drift boat question.

H
Hookset
I hope that I am posting this in the correct place. If not one of the great Mods will move it I hope.

I am looking at doing some drifts on the North Santiam and the main stretch. I am looking for some info on how difficult of a river it is. For a little background I have floated Barton to Carver numerous times. I have done stretches of the Molalla river a few times. I have also done Oxbow to Dabney and Lewis and Clark a few times. In one of the many books I have on fishing it mentions dangerous rapids on the drift from Packsaddle park to Mehama. Any info on these would be great. Or some recommendations on drifts and there difficulty would be awesome. ODFW talks about a couple of logs across the river any info on that would be great. Maybe if someone was going to do a drift and would let me follow along that would be great too. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle on that stretch of river? I also have empty seats in my boat sometimes if that would help. I have tried to read a lot of the archives on here about that stretch of river I found a lot of good info. Thank you to all that post. or PM me. FISH ON

T
TimberTodd
Hookset I do not have any first hand knowledge, but the Oregon river maps book lists the NF Santiam as difficult for boating. Hopefully someone who has drifted it can be of more assistance.

H
Hookset
I have that book and have read it cover to cover Timber it is a good book. Thank you for the reply.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
The only info I can offer is there are a couple of kayak rental outfits here in the canyon that offer trips from Packsaddle to Mehama all summer long. They take guided trips for all skill levels. I hope someone with more info will chime in soon.

M
muskieguide
I have not done the upper floats this year, but recently floated Shelburn to Greens bridge in pontoon boats and it was very tough. Lot's of log jams and side channels. Lot's of very sharp turns too. In a drift boat, there's probably a spot or 2 you'll need to get out and walk, and another spot where there's a log just under the water. The others were ahead of me and walked their toons around. By the time I knew what was about to happen it was too late. Barely made it. Just be very careful on the curves and have someone with you to spot "boat sinkers" for ya. We did catch a few fish though, and it was a good float overall

C
capblack
it's been a few years so i won't comment on current water hazards, but greens bridge to jefferson is or was an easy float. shuttle Bob Lusk does shuttles on the North, but i don't have any contact info.

H
Hookset
Thank you everyone for the great info.