North Santi this weekend?

J
junk4jones
I'm taking a buddy out toward Packsaddle or thereabouts this weekend, and wondering what (if anything) is biting in this warm weather and low water. I'd like to get into some steelhead or salmon, but would settle for trout. I'll take a fly rod, he'll probably be casting metal.

Any tips on technique, gear, flies, locations this time of year? Thanks!

S
steelhead1
There should be summer steelies around.I like to fish Minto,swinging wets and nymphing(works for trout and steel).Waders and felt/studded boots are highly reccomended,its slick as snot in that river.Good luck and dont forget to post a report!

B
bigfootfish
junk4jones said:
I'm taking a buddy out toward Packsaddle or thereabouts this weekend, and wondering what (if anything) is biting in this warm weather and low water. I'd like to get into some steelhead or salmon, but would settle for trout. I'll take a fly rod, he'll probably be casting metal.

Any tips on technique, gear, flies, locations this time of year? Thanks!

Well, be prepared for faster water. The ACE(Army Corps of Engineers) started dumping water out of Detroit Dam. The flow has gone from arouind 1500 cfs(cubic feet per second) up to about 4300 cfs then back down to the current flow of 2600 cfs over the past 7 days. This should really get the fish moving. Here's a link to the best(my opinion) river flow data available:

USGS Real-Time Data for Oregon_ Streamflow

Good hookin'!

BFF

Last edited:
J
junk4jones
Good info. Thanks! It looks like we may head out the Clackamas instead, but we'll see. I caught a few decent trout and one 14-incher a couple weeks ago at Packsaddle, but all the big boys were laughing at my steelhead flies.

B
bigfootfish
Well. The ACE has dropped the cfs on the North Santiam.

BFF