North Sanitam Scio - Detroit ?

S
Sage_Flyguy
Hello all , I was planning a trip for this weekend to leave from Sweet home here and head through Scio , stayton , mill city etc.. and just check to see if there is anywhere very accesible to the river.. I was wondering if any of you are familiar with this stretch of water and if any of you have had any success here , if so where about..... I plan on taking my fly rod and my ugly stick with me..

I appreciate the help and will be sure and post pictures on my return
Jer

O
osmosis
Get in touch with Kodiak, he is the resident North Santiam expert.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Guru guy

Guru guy

Sage_Flyguy said:
Hello all , I was planning a trip for this weekend to leave from Sweet home here and head through Scio , stayton , mill city etc.. and just check to see if there is anywhere very accesible to the river.. I was wondering if any of you are familiar with this stretch of water and if any of you have had any success here , if so where about..... I plan on taking my fly rod and my ugly stick with me..

I appreciate the help and will be sure and post pictures on my return
Jer

Flyguy;
Osmosis is right,Kodiak is our resident Santiam guru. I think he was born in the river. :D To top it OFF, he is very generous with information. Check our his 3/28/09 post in the Steelhead forum titled Santiam Bank Access. More information than you can imagine. ;)
Come back and let us know how you do.
Be safe.
Barb

F
FishFinger
The upper santiam is great for fly fishing and or spinner fishing. In the stretch above Idanha to just about MP 72 pretty much anywhere you pull off hwy 22; you can find great places to give it a shot.

I have a had really good success behind a larger solitary boulder perpahs 1/4 mile above MP 62. It's kinda my secret spot. Looking at my Gazetteer I don't see the name of the creek just below it, but rest assured the "rock" is a resent feature mid way in the river. Once you've fished it, it's impossible to drive by and not know there are fish to be had in the eddy behind it!

T
ToLiveIsToFlyFish
Sheesh, I need a lawyer to interpret the Fishing Regs.. can anybody straighten me out on the regs for N. Fork Santiam with respect to Trout and Steelhead?

Two fishing reports I found said it was C&R only, but my reading of the regs says I can take up to 2 hatchery trout per day and at least one steelhead is fair game.

Thanks!