%$@&!&* North fork Santiam Springers!!!!!!

K
Kodiak
Ok so I hit my favorite springer hole on the north fork santiam tonight. Plunking eggs and prawns on a #4prawn spinner I've been messing with. The first two hours passed entirely uneventfull like it should, nothing but zen with the water feeling the water surges then blade quit working. I should have known better... a gentle tug to get the blade moving and head shake head shake...you didn't really want those eggs, but here's your gear back...chump!!!:shock: Ok cool..at least this dumb thing worked once. I rebaited chunked into the same spot quitely sitting on the rocks encouraging hemroid growth reached for my soda and snack in a bag, cracked the top on my pop, ate my sandwich...still nothing. the river was lulling me back to LaLa land when BANG! BANG! ZZZIT ZZZZZIT ZZZZZZZZZZZ! Nothing is so pretty as watching an angry chrome nook go airborn with a watermelon #4 hanging from its mouth!!! Nothing uglier than #4 watermelon coming back at your head when angry springer lets go.:( An hour left and I'm licking my wounds. I changed bait, tossed back into the same slot, While I was taking up the slack in my line, headshake, headshake, headshake, hookset!..too much slack:mad: 10ish pound steelie airborn, airborn again, here hold this idiot you don't deserve me.:naughty: Some one call the exterminator...I need a skunk killed!

P
PDXKush
Damn man. I love the way you tell the story I feel like I was there. Sounds like youll be banging em out in no time. Im going to head down there in 2 weeks so be ready bro. This time I'll be there 100%. Peace Andrew

N
ninja2010
that'll teach you to take captain skunkage fishing with you... :lol:

N
ninja2010
that'll teach you... take captain skunkage fishing with you... :lol:

M
metalmania
Aw buddy I feel your pain, I to have had days where nothing seems to want to come to the bank. I also made it out this evening. First cast, I slip and in the water I go. Spent the next two hours in waders full of water. I've been kicking myself in the a** for not making it down there today, but sadly I got bills to pay:(. Hopefully we'll get out there soon and get ourselves into a few fishies:D.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I needed that

I needed that

Oh Lordy,you gents make me feel so much better :) not to mention having a good laugh at your expense. :lol: I was beginning to believe it was only a female or beginner thing going on. Glad to hear everyone has to get stinky once in a while. It is actually encouraging. :clap:
Be safe.
Barb

M
Mike123
Don't feel bad... I've missed probably 6 bobber downs and lost two nice springers at the boat so far this year on the north fork as well.
I think Im cursed, cause I can't put the wood shampoo to one. :(

M
mgdguy
Hey you got some action - I'm not sure that fits my definition of skunk! :lol:

Sounds like you are on the right track. I bet next time you'll bring 'em in :)

K
Kodiak
No scales on net or bank = skunkola! I try am super critical on myself about that..sure its a gray area but no fishy, no glory. But soon, very soon I will be avenging last years closure..i won't film it..It won't be pretty.

K
Kodiak
Vengance Is MINE!!!

Vengance Is MINE!!!

I left work in 06:13 hrs and a little birdy told me that the elves that put corks in damns worked overtime lastnight and dropped the river almost a foot.:pray:thankyou thankyou. I bailed and was on the river in my favorite slot by 06:45. A few brief words with the usual suspects and I was rigging and in the water. I took about 5 mins and I felt a solid thump followed by tug,tug. the hookset felt solid and a small couple pumps and it was on. She didn't want to come off the bottom so I knew she was a decent fish. she turned and tried to go under the under cut bank and into the rocks and slid her out she turned and ran down river into the well and sounded. (the well is 32 feet deep). A few moments later she was at the top...and cleanly clipped!!!! a heart stopping stab at the fish with the net and it was over..my first clipped springer dinner in two years!:dance::yay::dance::yay:
Ok enough ..heres the pics!

Last edited by a moderator:
M
mgdguy
Way to get er done!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

C
Commodore S
Nice!!

Nice!!

Good job Kodiak, might as well go get another tag, this one will be filled in no time. Nice fish, Congrats:clap:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Nice!

Nice!

Kodiak;
Way to go! :clap: I always said you are "The Santiam Man"...:D :D
Be safe.
Barb

S
steelhead_stalkers
Your poor kids look scared to death!! :lol: :lol:

Good job on the fish! :clap:

P
PDXKush
Money bro. Im coming down very soon.

K
Kodiak
steelhead_stalkers said:
Your poor kids look scared to death!! :lol: :lol:

Good job on the fish! :clap:

I think the boy is broken! Ever since he started kindergarten he doesn't like to touch fish, gut dear, pick birds, or nothin'. won't even help me change the oil in the truck anymore.

Kush, get here soon before the water gets too much warmer..they will all be black in a month. This fish was dark but cut nice and red.

N
ninja2010
there's your sign....

good job, man. prolly have to make a trip soon... eh?

M
metalmania
Way to go man:clap:. Nothin like a little vengeance to put a smile on your face:D

R
Richard_Pirate4x4
nice , my brother pulled an 11lb Salmon out there Sunday afternoon , I keep telling him he has to take me next time he goes:)

C
chodathug
Nice Work!!! I gotta get me some of those spinners...
This forum is encouraging..hearing about you people havin some sucess keeps me out there although I'm still skunky this whole summer. Hooked one at Barton last Thursday but lost the fish 30 seconds later (a week earlier saw a flyfisherman pull a 15+ steelie out of the same run).