North Fork Reservoir 6/17

T
Timber
Hope I don't ramble, but maybe I will. Went to North Fork today after a lousy night's sleep. My son in law was to eat my fabulous ham and eggs at 6:00am, but he showed up at 7:15 due to a his hockey game that didn't get over until midnight and a stray horse that showed up on his mom's property. We jumped in the truck and dragged the boat through Estacada and to Promontory boat ramp.

We trolled both flatfiish anf the old reliable Doc Shelton spinners with 18 inches of leader baited with a garden hackle. Fish were biting but not following up. Finally, at about 10:00am, we got a fish in the boat. Should have slept in. We wound up with only three for the day. He had a good time and so did I and that is what counts. He hasn't fished much but got turned on to bass while in the Navy homeported in Norfolk, Va. I ramble. We caught this humongous amount of fish across the lake from the little boat ramp near the dam. While fishing, or boat riding, ODFW planted the lake three different times. Two of the other seven boats on the lake immediately went over and fished at the back of the planting truck. We stayed where we were and probably had as good a luck as they did. The three fish fried up great tonight for dinner.

Come Friday, we will be out there again hoping to catch at least four. If any of you are out there, I'll be in a Smokercraft Stinger carrying an old codger and a young studly type guy. Today, I was called Pops by another so-called fisherman so I guess I am an old codger all of a sudden. Good luck to all.

D
Dan Feller
I might have been on the water with you, we got there at about 12:00. When we got there the ramp was blocked by the stocking truck. We started trolling up the reservoir and had a few bites but no fish on. Next we went up to the top where the river flows in and cast for a bit, again no luck. We started trolling again when we got back to see if any of the planters were biting. They were - we caught our limit in about 20 minutes!

I was using a gold Les Davis trolling lure with a Kokanee Special. I was trolling just a few fee behind the boat, I could watch them hit. My friend was casting a Rooster Tail and doing well, too.

One kid on shore said he ha caught 35 fish, another guy said he had caught 7 fish in 10 casts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Irishrover
Irishrover
You are making me hungery. First it's ham and eggs then fried trout.......:) Sounds like you had a good time. I like the part about the horse showing up that cracked me up because I know how that sort of thing really happens. Good luck on Friday and take the Pops thing as a salute to your years of expiernce!

J
jeffcycles
We were there from 9-1 and it was slow going. I was getting more hits from salamanders than fish. Just as we called it quits the stocking truck showed up! :rolleyes:

T
Troutier Bassier
!!!!
No fish on Trolling!
That wouldve been the first for me.

J
jeffcycles
The fish were picky, that's for sure. We were drifting worms, powerbait, combinations of those, throwing Kastmasters, and also tried those wedding rings. Zero fish on for more than one or two seconds, and the slowest I've seen it there. But as they say, it was better than a good day at work!

T
Timber
Yeah, Wednesday was slow. Jeffcycles you are right about the trout being picky and by the way, welcome to this site. Like I said previously, we would get the random bight and no follow up even when slowing down, speeding up, turning, and holding your mouth a little different. The three we did catch basically hammered the offering and hooked themselves. There's been a few times in my years of fishing that I have been skunked trolling - it happens to everybody. Irishrover I take the Pops thing in a very good nature as I have been called a lot worse things. Now, hopefully my son in law has separated the stray horse from his three and will be here bright and early for bacon and eggs tomorrow morning before going after the mighty trout of North Fork.

T
Timber
Today was Friday's trip. Limits for both of us (I wonder why?). Also, why is the last fish for a limit always the hardest to catch? Five bald eagles circling overhead about noon and the resident ospreys were making some great dives all morning.

T
Troutier Bassier
At Salish Ponds. There is a Hawk couple That lives there and Eats Trout. And Carp too!, Not the big ones but they are like Big goldfish.