North fork Molalla - closed or open?

G
Growbug
Ok.. been going through the regs.. again and again.
Last year it stated no fishing in the North Fork of the Molalla, and on the Willamette zone map the North Fork was red.
This year, no mention and its black, same as the main Molalla.

So.. is it open or closed ??

B
BobbiDollPDX
Here is what I found in the current regs

Molalla River (Clackamas Co.):
1. Upstream to Pine Creek Bridge
• Open for adipose fin-clipped Chinook salmon and adipose fin-clipped steelhead entire
year.
• Open to harvest of non-adipose fin-clipped steelhead July 1-Aug. 31.
• Use of bait allowed May 15-July 15.
• Open for coho salmon entire year.
• Use of single barbless hooks encouraged.
• No limit on size or number of bass taken.

troutdude
troutdude
If I understand the regs correctly, I believe that it is also open for trout through Oct. 31st.

Last edited:
G
Growbug
Yeah.. weird one. Last year it was specifically mentioned. This year no mention at all even under the Molalla section. Since the North Fork is lower than Pine Creek Cutoff, and its NOT marked red. Then I am guessing that it comes under standard streams and rivers / Willamette section.

hmm checked the map again on my PDF copy. North Fork ISN'T marked this year. So yeah follow codes one step higher, ie. general rules for Willamette section

M
meluvtrout
As far as I know, there are no hatchery programs on the Molalla and the fish you'll get are either stray or native. Isn't that the case?

G
Growbug
Yup, you are correct.

M
Markcanby
Growbug said:
Yeah.. weird one. Last year it was specifically mentioned. This year no mention at all even under the Molalla section. Since the North Fork is lower than Pine Creek Cutoff, and its NOT marked red. Then I am guessing that it comes under standard streams and rivers / Willamette section.

hmm checked the map again on my PDF copy. North Fork ISN'T marked this year. So yeah follow codes one step higher, ie. general rules for Willamette section

can't go with the Willamette rules cause the entire Molalla water shed is C&R.

G
Growbug
Good call Mark. Now i have to refresh myself with THIS years regs!