North Fork fo the John Day east of Kimberly

Irishrover
Irishrover
I've been by a strech of water on the North Fork of the John Day just east of Kimberly. There is public access and the water looks great. I think it has a few camp spots not far from the river. I have never fished it and plan to one of these days. It is a a beautiful spot like most of that area is. I have never seen anyone there. I'll never drive by it again without having my fly rod with me! Any ever fish that strech?

Irishrover
Irishrover
I think the place actually is called Lone Pine camp ground about a mile and a half east of Kimberly toward Monument.

R
Rocky Maley
Yes i have fished there. There is lone pine and big bend both have camp spots.
the fishing is great for small mouth bass. Last year i did very well with 50+ fish days between the 2 spots. All on 1 pattern see pic. below

Rocky

Last edited by a moderator:
F
Fishtopher
Fer sure!

Fer sure!

Irishrover said:
I've been by a strech of water on the North Fork of the John Day just east of Kimberly. There is public access and the water looks great. I think it has a few camp spots not far from the river. I have never fished it and plan to one of these days. It is a a beautiful spot like most of that area is. I have never seen anyone there. I'll never drive by it again without having my fly rod with me! Any ever fish that strech?

We set up a hunt camp on the river in there somewhere between Dayville, and Spray, right off the highway. :redface:Happen to set up everything under the high water mark, without really noticing:doh:. Not a real great idea in late September in Eastern Oregon:naughty:. When it actually started raining hard, we were many miles away in the Northside unit. Came back to air mattresses floating in tents, and the John Day nipping at my Grandpa's camper:wall:. Moved outta the way without delay:lol:.
But the main reason to set up camp there was to fish, fish, hunt, fish, eat, sleep, repeat.
The bite really picked up after the water started to rise on day 2. I didn't bother to use anything other than those little yellow grubs everyone has in the bottom of their tackle boxes:tongue:...
Fish after fish after angry crazy fish:yay:!
Ive got family in Dayville, and every August, they throw a Pig Roast. The fishing is tuff that time of year that high up the river. The water is low, warm, and worst of all, clear. :confused:I dont catch much at all then. Good times though...

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
"Ive got family in Dayville, and every August, they throw a Pig Roast." Fishtopher that make me very hungery! Great story!

"Last year i did very well with 50+ fish days between the 2 spots." Rocky that sound like a fantasic day of fishing. I'm going to put that spot on my list of have to go to places. Those flies are nice look like crawdads. I can see myself catching a few fish then relaxing by that river. But up high not in the river Fishtopher!;)

Rocky a question on those flies. How big are they. In the picture they look big.

Last edited:
R
Rocky Maley
They are about 2in. they are tied on a size 6 hook daiichi 1270 the ones in the pic. the pincher's are a little long. i was tying them for a trip this spring to the deschutes ponds for largemouth. 1 other thing it is a fun and productive float from big bend park to the confluence of the main stem. if you like i can tie this pattern in steps and photograph them and post it?

Rocky

Irishrover
Irishrover
Rocky, that would be awesome. Maybe some other folks on this site would also benefit from it also. I don't think I'm anywhere near your level of tying but I'd like to give it a go. From the pictures I think you use orange foam, hackle feathers white goose biot white krystal flash, but not sure what the claw feathers are. Thanks

R
Rocky Maley
I hope i can get the pic to post in order

Hook daiichi 1270 size 6

1 tie in flash at the start of the bend of hook i use a green copper color
2slect pincher's from pheasant skin
3 strip and cut the tips out of feathers
4 tie in feathers crossing the hook mash the quill of the feather with flat pliers at tie in point
5 tie in dumbbell eyes and lead wire
6 cut foam to shape and tie in
7 tie in hackle
8 dub in seal dubbin i use dun color
9 hackle the hackle
10 put on more dubbing to the end of lead wire
11 tie in flash for tail out the front of the hook and then wrap back to were dubbing ends

12 fold foam over and take 3 wraps with thread then lift tail move thread forward a little lay tail down and take 3 wraps and repeat to the eye tie of and trim extra foam and flash

Rocky

R
Rocky Maley
Here are more pic.

Rocky

R
Rocky Maley
here are the rest

Rocky

Irishrover
Irishrover
Rocky, thanks. My next job is to head to the fly shop and pick up the things I don't have, then sit down at the bench and give it a try. This is going to be fun. Thanks again..........

J
joesnuffy
great step by step. thanks

R
Rocky Maley
joesnuffy said:
great step by step. thanks

Thanks i seen i a other post you wanted a more advanced tying class could you tell me what you are wanting in a class. like what patterns or what you are wanting to get out of a class i am thinking about doing a few classes. and i am just looking for input on what people want.

Thanks again

Rocky

Irishrover
Irishrover
Rocky I stopped by the fly shop and picked up the stuff I needed. Boy it's harder than it looks especially when the first one I tied was backwards. Guess I'd better put the vice next to the computer and pay better attention.

R
Rocky Maley
Irishrover said:
Rocky I stopped by the fly shop and picked up the stuff I needed. Boy it's harder than it looks especially when the first one I tied was backwards. Guess I'd better put the vice next to the computer and pay better attention.

It will get easer i have faith. :D
Rocky

Reactions: Irishrover
Irishrover
Irishrover
Rocky, I think I got it down. However I'm not going to post a picture until I really get it. At least I'm not tying them backwards anymore.:lol: Thanks againg for posting the "how to do it" I know that took some time.:)