North coast kicking out fish!!!

B
Big Moby
Just got back from 5 days of steelheading the north coast streams. All I can say is the fishing has been epic!!! I fished with 3 friends each day. Our slowest day was 2 our best was 15 hooked 9 landed, including a 20+ pounder. Still a lot of brood stock around as well.

Fish are throughout the systems. There was just enough rain to keep the rivers steady. Jigs and spinners seemed to be the go to lures.

I will try to post some pics and video feed if I can figure it out (I'm computer handicapped :().

If you have days off this week I would highly recomend the drive west.

A
Alaskan Assassin
What streams were you fishing?? I'm anxious to hook up and am looking to throw some flies at some steel. My buddy is coming down for Merle Haggard concert and fishing this weekend and any advice would be much appreciated I'd like to hook him up.

B
Big Moby
Alaskan Assassin said:
What streams were you fishing?? I'm anxious to hook up and am looking to throw some flies at some steel. My buddy is coming down for Merle Haggard concert and fishing this weekend and any advice would be much appreciated I'd like to hook him up.

Merle Haggard concert!! That is awesome! I went to see him at the crystal ball room about 7 years ago. It was the best 35 minutes of music I ever heard:confused:.

The Nestucca and Wilson is where we did the best. There are still a lot of fish around. This rain should really get them moving around. Don't be afraid to try the Trask either, some monsters in there!!

Good luck

A
Alaskan Assassin
Thanks a lot man! ya Merle's the man hopefully it'll be a solid weekend. Any tips on what kind of fly patterns to throw? Sounds like you were throwing jigs but color/size of jigs can be replicated in some fly patterns. Anyways thanks for your help its much appreciated.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Judge it by the color, clarity, and total flow when you get there. It is all dependent on that. Color/turbidity, for what pattern, and total fow determines size, and wether or not you choose a bead head/dumbell type sinker or just a simple wet bug.

B
Big Moby
Alaskan Assassin said:
Thanks a lot man! ya Merle's the man hopefully it'll be a solid weekend. Any tips on what kind of fly patterns to throw? Sounds like you were throwing jigs but color/size of jigs can be replicated in some fly patterns. Anyways thanks for your help its much appreciated.

soft pink and peach seemed to be the go to for us.

I remember a friend of mine used to do well with the orange comets.

A
ArcticAmoeba
I always have had excellent luck on combos of peach, or white and light pink yarnies while drift fishing it in low, gin clear conditions for sure. And the Orange, and Red Comets are a great piece. My favorite is the Orange too. I have seen more than a few first fish taken on that little guy. Good stuff given the right conditions.

A
Alaskan Assassin
Water looks like its gonna come up a couple feet so Im guessing bigger and brighter patterns will be better. Any changes in where these fish hold in rising water Ive always thought they'll be moving up with the water.

A
ArcticAmoeba
As the water rises they are going to try their best to hold in roughly the same depth as before it came up. Essentially meaning they will hold closer to the bank in most places. If the water has a bit of debris in it, and has a tinge of off color, you should slightly increase the presentation size and color. Do this in baby steps, until you find a willing biter. Sometimes all it takes is a big enough object to piss 'em off. But other times it is a combo of getting the right color, and size for the weater being fished. One thing I notice about the Wilson, is the presentation preference is going to change from drift to drift. Pods of fish seem to like the same things in that river. Not saying I haven't hooked a fish on a jig lets say, then run through with bait 10 minutes and hooked a second. Good luck man.

B
Big Moby
ArcticAmoeba said:
As the water rises they are going to try their best to hold in roughly the same depth as before it came up. Essentially meaning they will hold closer to the bank in most places. If the water has a bit of debris in it, and has a tinge of off color, you should slightly increase the presentation size and color. Do this in baby steps, until you find a willing biter. Sometimes all it takes is a big enough object to piss 'em off. But other times it is a combo of getting the right color, and size for the weater being fished. One thing I notice about the Wilson, is the presentation preference is going to change from drift to drift. Pods of fish seem to like the same things in that river. Not saying I haven't hooked a fish on a jig lets say, then run through with bait 10 minutes and hooked a second. Good luck man.

Good advise! The edges, particularly rock or slate bottom. I don't have much luck with sandy bottoms.

F
Fishtopher
Big Moby said:
I don't have much luck with sandy bottoms.
Neither do Steelhead gills!;):whistle: