Nooks in the Peter

F
Fishydog
Has anyone targeted Chinook in Green Peter? :think: I figured if I'm there Kokanee fishing I might be able to boat a nook :dance:.
Any advice, tips, info welcome :pray:.
Tanks, Doug

T
trollin4trout
There has been a lot of great info given lately on Ifish in the trout forum about fishing for kings in Shasta Lake and then someone chimed in on catching them at Detroit also. Highly recommend reading those posts. Have been waiting for years for someone with someone with first hand knowledge to share the info- finally!!! Should work everywhere. Like the guy says- they're still salmon- just stuck in a lake.

Jim

C
Commodore S
Nooks

Nooks

Last year jigin for kokes, we found them between 15-20 ft below the kokes. Switched to a green buzz bomb. Never did find any trolling, good luck!!

C
chris61182
I've had good luck catching them on silver or white crankbaits.

Troutski
Troutski
Salmon are Salmon...

Salmon are Salmon...

I target them the same way I target normal Salmon, in my opinion the key to catching these dynamic fish is trolling speed. Remember they are still Chinook Salmon (KINGS), just much smaller. I use mini hoochies and mini sling blades, small Hot Shots and Kwickfish along with a downrigger. These fish like the depths and are keen on attacking from beneath their food source, they don't seem to be leader shy, I use braided main line and pure fluorocarbon for the leader. They have the same food herding techniques as their larger family members, I have learned over the past 4 years of targeting these fish that the farther behind the boat you are the better your chances are. 175 -200 feet is my preferred distance; this is why I use braided and fluorobarbon - they both have little to no stretch..My local lakes (Greenpeter,Cougar,Fall Creek,Lookout Point and Hills Creek) all have a population of these fish, and they are now beginning to mature and reproduce on there own.
Back to the speed....try the speed you feel comfortable with; I learned over time that they like the presentation to be fast, very fast. Over 2.5 mph (GPS) to 4 mph, sounds to fast but with all the turning and changing speeds it is quite invigorating. So far my record is 24 inches and my average is 16.5, some locations allow harvesting of these fish and they do smoke and grill well; a wonderful shore lunch:cool:. Again, keep in mind these are still Chinooks and they have very sharp teeth..the larger the fish - well you get my drift.
I have been messing with these fish for quite some time now; and am now seeing some wonderful results, a new and exciting species has been laid in our laps and I for one am very happy for the oppertunity.
Good luck and tight lines

Chuck