Noob hook knot questions

Y
Yentz
I plan on starting up steelheading here in Jan, and head some questions about hooks.

For starters, I will be mostly plunking for steelhead off meldrum bar.

When you tie your hook for a spinnglow settup for plunking, what knot do you use? Would a standard improved clinch knot work, or should I pre-tie leaders with snell knots?

S
SNDSLGR
I like to use an egg loop, its strong and versitile. imo for spin glows having the knot be below the eye helps them spin true also. I also use a small bead above the eye to give the spin glow something smooth and even to spin on. If you are using bait with your spin glow use a couple beads, enough to keep the bait from fouling the spin glow.

B
BlackBass
Yentz said:
I plan on starting up steelheading here in Jan, and head some questions about hooks.

For starters, I will be mostly plunking for steelhead off meldrum bar.

When you tie your hook for a spinnglow settup for plunking, what knot do you use? Would a standard improved clinch knot work, or should I pre-tie leaders with snell knots?

Snelled leader will work perfect , remember to add a bead below your spin glow!

Oops he beat me to it, what he said :)

D
DirectDrive
Yep, good advice.
The reason a clinch knot is not good at the hook is because it creates a "hinge" effect. The egg loop style knot forces the line to stay more "in line" with the shank of the hook.
This way you can deliver more power to the hookpoint when setting the hook.

The "turned up eye" style hook is designed specifically for this type of knot (egg loop). Sometimes called "octopus".

An Improved Clinch Knot (5 twists minimum) is fine elsewhere in your rigging.
Make sure all knots a clean.....if you're not happy with a knot, re-tie it.

Last edited:
Y
Yentz
Thanks for the tips folks.

Another question for ya. I was tying together parts of the plunking rig with 30lb mono, and it seemed like the clinch knot felt... Weird, with such heavy line. I tested the knots, and they still seemed to hold well, but the knots themselves just looked odd. Is this pretty typical when using heavy line, or should I switch out to a different knot?

D
DirectDrive
Yentz said:
Thanks for the tips folks.

Another question for ya. I was tying together parts of the plunking rig with 30lb mono, and it seemed like the clinch knot felt... Weird, with such heavy line. I tested the knots, and they still seemed to hold well, but the knots themselves just looked odd. Is this pretty typical when using heavy line, or should I switch out to a different knot?
Yeah, the clinch knot can choke a bit with heavier lines. Instead of water or saliva, try some not-so-foul-smelling oil-based scent just before you finish. I use anise sometimes and there is a specific knot lube that you can buy.

Where possible I will go to the Palomar knot with heavier mono.

A
Anyfishisfine
No need to buy pre-tied. Use Steelhead Stalker's video:

[youtube]qUp-fbiLZVs[/youtube]

S
steelhead_stalkers
Hey, I know that guy! :lol: The egg loop is a great knot for many applications for steelhead and you will want to learn it real good before you go out your first time. Good luck!

Y
Yentz
I'll try and learn your egg knot loop. I was working today on snelling hooks with the Uni-knot snell, and it took me about 45 minutes to get it, and it was an average job at best.

S
steelhead_stalkers
The egg loop knot is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

D
DirectDrive
Yep, ya gotta learn the egg loop knot.
There's two types, a two stage and a single stage.
The two stage works well with bait and the single stage works best with yarn.
I see you're in OC.....go over to Fisherman's.....they will be glad to show you.

R
rainman
I use mostly 2 knots, egg loop and Palomar.

K
koboabe
I need to to get better with the double egg loop, but I mostly use the palomar know for everything else.
it is easy for me to tie and seems to be really strong.

does anyone use the Fish - n - fool knot?

S
steelhead_stalkers
Nope! :lol: It took me a week or so but now the fish-n-fool is easier than the palomar and everyone knows its stronger so its hard to beat! :dance:

P
plumb2fish
Rivers Inlet knot work well for heavy momo 4 twists on anything above 20#
5 twists on 17# or less. If tied correctly it has more than 100% line strength.

S
skunk
Speaking of octopus hooks, fisherman's has the Gamakatsu's on sale for 1.89 a pack instead of 2.49. Just stocked up myself.

D
DirectDrive
I just looked at the Fish-n-Fool knot....not really new.
It's an improved Uni-Knot with two pases through the eye instead of one.
And it does seem to edge out the Palomar in the break test.

Here's another knot that is getting a lot of press these days...

San Diego Jam Knot

Y
Yentz
DirectDrive said:
I just looked at the Fish-n-Fool knot....not really new.
It's an improved Uni-Knot with two pases through the eye instead of one.
And it does seem to edge out the Palomar in the break test.

Here's another knot that is getting a lot of press these days...

San Diego Jam Knot

Perhaps it's just me, but that knot looks like a PITA for any stiff line.

After more frustration trying to tie snell knots, I finally found this one.

Really, really easy snell

They might not look as pretty as other snell knots, but they do the job, and it's just about the easiest knot I have found.