No Smelt on the Columbia River

G
getreelguide
what are you talking about?

J
JeannaJigs
He's talking about an article regarding smelt closure...which i'm assuming could impact sturgeon folks? Right? used as bait me thinks?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Good article. I've been wondering for quite a while what happened to the smelt. In the late and mid 50s I can remember making the annual February trip to Troutdale with the smelt net. Our family would get a big bucket full in no time then head home and start the cleaning process. The deep frier would come out and in would go the smelt. I like them much better as sturgeon bait! There deceasing number concerns me. I hope it can be turned around. The shad populantion, an introduced species, seems to be thriving while the smelt numbers are alarming low. I'd sure like to know the real cause.:think:

Last edited:
F
firewalker
any word yet about any pilot runs in yet? or does that run not show up until January

Irishrover
Irishrover
firewalker said:
any word yet about any pilot runs in yet? or does that run not show up until January
Even if they show up this year, which I sure hope they do, you can not catch them. ODFW 2011 regulations puts all smelt off limits, illegal to catch smelt. I agree with ODFW on this one, you can't catch what's not there!;)

T
Troutier Bassier
They closed it in OR and WA. If you do find smelt in stores its from British Colombia or Alaska.