No salmon/steel but we wailed on the trout

C
cobias
Me and Everet464 hit the Mckenzie at 7am and took out at 9pm (leaburg dam to deerhorn bridge)....didn't hit any steelhead/salmon but we just slayed the trout ( caught and released at least 40). They must have planted this week finaly plus the water temp is comming up. We saw a few steelhead and two with recycle tags. It was a fun day no doubt...probably one more trip then im done with the mack.

E
everett464
Don't forget about the beautiful 18" Native Red-Side! Sorry about almost dumping your boat.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
everett464 said:
Don't forget about the beautiful 18" Native Red-Side! Sorry about almost dumping your boat.

Sounds like there is more to the story....

jamisonace
jamisonace
They did just plant it. Though I heard they don't plant that stretch. If thats true they must move upstream fast since it was just earlier this week that they stocked it. Nice day. Was Everette flyfishing? Dry or Wet? I'm as happy catching trout on a dry fly as I am catching salmon or steelhead.

R
rippin fish lips
They havent been stalking it from hendricks and below. Only above.

E
everett464
Was Everette flyfishing?

YES! I swung some of my new steelhead creations in the morning, but didn't get any looks. I also nymphed quite a bit during the day, and picked up a few trout on a mega prince. Once the sun got low, I caught between 15-20 trout on the same little size 16 green drake. Same 4X tippet, same fly, same knot. It was awesome.

As I have never caught a steelhead or salmon on the fly, I can' say for sure what my preference, but I really do like catching trout on the fly.

C
cobias
They plant trout from greenwood down. I think it could have been even better but, once again, they are letting the more than usual water out of the dam. Although the water was warming up from the sun. I wish we could have had video of Everet behind the oars on that second chute....It was funny ! He did a great job rowing though. Im sure we could have hit a steelhead or two but i have gotten lazy on my scent controll and i wasn't running the line i wanted on my plug rods....i was lazy and tired ( only 2 hours sleep ) but it was a blast of a day. One of those great ways to start winding down the season...can't wait for the Siuslaw tidewater !

T
Thuggin4Life
At least you guys got into something.

jamisonace
jamisonace
There is nothing quite like a steelhead on a fly. I've caught many in September on the Mack and even on a dry fly on the N. Umpqua but you have to work so hard for them. There are few things more exciting...but a day of non stop trout action is always a great day and hard to beat.
everett464 said:
YES! I swung some of my new steelhead creations in the morning, but didn't get any looks. I also nymphed quite a bit during the day, and picked up a few trout on a mega prince. Once the sun got low, I caught between 15-20 trout on the same little size 16 green drake. Same 4X tippet, same fly, same knot. It was awesome.

As I have never caught a steelhead or salmon on the fly, I can' say for sure what my preference, but I really do like catching trout on the fly.

jamisonace
jamisonace
They also plant the crap out of the lake just above the dam and the fish can get down. I've hit trout non stop on steelhead gear, glo bugs and stuff, nymphed around the hatchery.
cobias said:
They plant trout from greenwood down. I think it could have been even better but, once again, they are letting the more than usual water out of the dam. Although the water was warming up from the sun. I wish we could have had video of Everet behind the oars on that second chute....It was funny ! He did a great job rowing though. Im sure we could have hit a steelhead or two but i have gotten lazy on my scent controll and i wasn't running the line i wanted on my plug rods....i was lazy and tired ( only 2 hours sleep ) but it was a blast of a day. One of those great ways to start winding down the season...can't wait for the Siuslaw tidewater !