No luck at the reservoire

S
Shallowbay
Was out at NFR for about 4 hours this morning. Line was in the water about 7:30 am. There were a couple boats and about 3 people fishing off the shore when I got there. My usual spot was occupied so I walked for about 20 minutes till I came to the dividers in the water. Found a treachourous little spot and cast in. Moved around in that area a few times and got a total of 7 bites. 4 off of orange powerbait, 1 off rainbow powerbait, 1 off a nightcrawler, and for sh*ts and giggles I tried a piece of lunchables cheese and got one off of that. Tried a couple lures ... lost one and had no action with the other. Old guy and his wife came by in a boat and said they caught 4 while trolling, but they were having trouble hooking the rest! When I left there were about 20 cars in the parking lot and a bunch of boats. Someone had a good day I'm sure!

W
wormosa
Shallowbay said:
Was out at NFR for about 4 hours this morning. Line was in the water about 7:30 am. There were a couple boats and about 3 people fishing off the shore when I got there. My usual spot was occupied so I walked for about 20 minutes till I came to the dividers in the water. Found a treachourous little spot and cast in. Moved around in that area a few times and got a total of 7 bites. 4 off of orange powerbait, 1 off rainbow powerbait, 1 off a nightcrawler, and for sh*ts and giggles I tried a piece of lunchables cheese and got one off of that. Tried a couple lures ... lost one and had no action with the other. Old guy and his wife came by in a boat and said they caught 4 while trolling, but they were having trouble hooking the rest! When I left there were about 20 cars in the parking lot and a bunch of boats. Someone had a good day I'm sure!

hey where is nfr at? i am new to fishing this area, i know eugene springfield area like the back of my hand but up in this area i need help lol

B
beaverfan
It's a resevoir right outside of Estacada on the Clackamas river.

W
wormosa
beaverfan said:
It's a resevoir right outside of Estacada on the Clackamas river.
thank you and is it open year round? GOOOO OSU... time to stomp out the ducks

P
Pita
Last year it closed on Halloween, but I'm not sure if the rules changed at all since then. It's managed by PGE of course and they were really good about posting the regulations last fall. If you park at the ramp, just be sure to get out of there before the power guys close the gate ... I've heard about people getting fined and then being stuck there overnight :confused: lol

S
Shallowbay
No luck at the Reservoire

No luck at the Reservoire

I love fishing at this place even though I've never caught a single thing there. definitely one of the prettier peaceful locations I've been to. I think next year I'm gonna try some lures. Kastmasters would probably work like gangbusters out there. I've seen some huge trout swimming around so I know they are there! There's some good bank access if you don't mind walking a bit. I generally try to avoid the crowds and have found some good little spots. It is a little treacherous so be careful!

P
Pita
Shallowbay said:
Kastmasters would probably work like gangbusters out there. I've seen some huge trout swimming around so I know they are there!

Yeah definitely give the trusty gold KM a try next time you head up there. I've always done well using those close to the dam when the kids aren't out there waterskiing and doing cookies right in front of me. :mad:

B
Bohemian
Pita said:
Last year it closed on Halloween, but I'm not sure if the rules changed at all since then. It's managed by PGE of course and they were really good about posting the regulations last fall. If you park at the ramp, just be sure to get out of there before the power guys close the gate ... I've heard about people getting fined and then being stuck there overnight :confused: lol

I'm confused (not that unusual :lol:) -- I thought NF closed on Oct 31? I read my regulation book again and I still would have thought that it closed then...help me out here :think:

Thanks

P
Pita
Bohemian said:
I'm confused (not that unusual :lol:) -- I thought NF closed on Oct 31? I read my regulation book again and I still would have thought that it closed then...help me out here :think:

Thanks

That's right ... what I meant was that last fall (2008) when I fished there, the closing date was October 31 (Halloween) and wasn't sure if it was the same for this year without checking the regs. But you're definitely right - it closed on Oct 31 again this season and probably does every year.

Sorry for the confusion! :)