No idea what I'm doing

D
DrTheopolis
allaboutfishing88 said:
in this slough. 3-4 were 15+ lbs

When the conditions are right, the top of the lake, where the spring comes in, can be really productive. I've literally caught several hundred out of there.

Look at allaboutfishing88 -- brand new here, and OFFering solid advice. Most cool.

F
FishOn420
mcfishin said:
I'll preface this post by saying that I've caught thousands of fish in my lifetime, and probably close to 100 different species... but I've never caught a carp, and I've decided it's time. I just moved to Oregon 3 weeks ago so I've been exploring the area, and there seem to be a lot of places for carp fishing.

Last week, I was walking my dog around a little pond/lake in the area (I think it's called Commonwealth Lake, in Beaverton) and saw a half a dozen carp ranging from about 3 to 6 lbs. One swam right up to me within 2 feet of the bank where I was standing. I thought it'd be fun to fight one of those on my light tackle, so I did some Googlin' and went back this morning with a can of corn and gave it a shot.

I only saw two this time, both had to be 5 lbs or more, and I casted my improvised carp rig towards them. Both went up and sniffed it, one even seemed to open its mouth like he was gonna eat it, but neither took it. I expected them to be a little less finicky.

Can anybody offer me any help? My rig was pretty ghetto looking, but I used what I had handy -- trout rod and reel with 6 lb test, a small weight with a lil corky floating a size 6 egg hook loaded with shoepeg corn. I was mostly just planning on sight-fishing and casting at the ones I saw. I tried to be stealthy but they may have seen me.

Appreciate any advice on how to pop my carp fishin' cherry... is there a place and technique I can expect to have easy success? I could've snagged one, or shot it with a bow and arrow, but that doesn't really seem like fishing to me (still fun, but I want to feel like I outwitted a mud-sucking fish :D).

New port Bay restaurant downtown Portland has a dock that is open to the public during the day. You can catch carp that are around 2ft long and weight close to 20 pounds easy. My friend was fishing down there yesterday and caught some decent size carp.

K
Komatoast
I'm glad you said that... I was worried they be eatin them nasty things lol

Bake
Bake
Funny, but about half the world thinks carp are desirable. That sure is hard to believe. I have C&R (Depends on the state reg.) carp while fishing with my bass rig and they were a handful. Read somewhere that carp are the freshwater version of bonefish. Might be a real hoot on a 9 foot 8wt. flyrod.

I
igquick
Bake said:
Funny, but about half the world thinks carp are desirable. That sure is hard to believe. I have C&R (Depends on the state reg.) carp while fishing with my bass rig and they were a handful. Read somewhere that carp are the freshwater version of bonefish. Might be a real hoot on a 9 foot 8wt. flyrod.

My 8wt rod and reel finally broke

P
PTownAngler
Carp scientists have found that carp are one of the if not the smartest fish in the world and can be extremely hard to catch. Google it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

C
Critter
I've never caught a carp since they don't live in north Idaho, but I have caught quite a few tench, which are closely related. I know that tench are a popular target in the UK, and I believe they're caught with the same gear and methods used for carp. I always catch them while targeting bullheads for the frypan. Nothing special, just a live nightcrawler on a kahle hook suspended about 1' off the bottom with a bobber. I've only hooked them at night. Dusk in late summer seems to be the most productive time.

T
Thejigmaster
Lol

E
espencer757
OK, I have to tell you, I have eaten carp. It was prepared by a good friends wife (yes, she was Asian), and it was fabulous. I was apprehensive, but it has amazing and complex flavor (but my friend told me you have to make sure where you catch it is clean water). She soaked it 24 hrs in salt water. Oh, and be prepared to Doug through the bones. I don't target carp, so I have never tried to prepare it myself, but Young told me it it very good smoked and it pulls from the bone easier when smoked.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

E
espencer757
OK, out of curiosity, I called my friend. His wife said you have to take care of the fish long before you ever cook it.
1. Hit it in the head and put it on ice right away. Carp do not taste muddy, but if you let them sit on a stringer on the bank or in a fish box, the will produce a chemical that makes the meat taste bad.
2. Be very careful removing the guts. There is a gall bladder in a carp (I did not know this) and if you even Nick it, it will ruin the fish.
3. To get the best meat, just cut the loins (from the back to the stomach cavity) and avoid the rib cage.
4. Simple egg and flower salt and pepper coating.
5. In about 3 tablespoons of oil, sweat 2 cloves of garlic and 1 tablespoon of ginger until the aroma is very strong. Then remove garlic and ginger so it does not burn.
6. Cook fillets for 3 to 4 minutes per side.

She scales the fish and leaves skin on to make the fish moister.

OK, I dare you all to at least try it.

F
Fishpdx
espencer757 said:
OK, out of curiosity, I called my friend. His wife said you have to take care of the fish long before you ever cook it.
1. Hit it in the head and put it on ice right away. Carp do not taste muddy, but if you let them sit on a stringer on the bank or in a fish box, the will produce a chemical that makes the meat taste bad.
2. Be very careful removing the guts. There is a gall bladder in a carp (I did not know this) and if you even Nick it, it will ruin the fish.
3. To get the best meat, just cut the loins (from the back to the stomach cavity) and avoid the rib cage.
4. Simple egg and flower salt and pepper coating.
5. In about 3 tablespoons of oil, sweat 2 cloves of garlic and 1 tablespoon of ginger until the aroma is very strong. Then remove garlic and ginger so it does not burn.

6. Cook fillets for 3 to 4 minutes per side.

She scales the fish and leaves skin on to make the fish moister.

I tried carp before and it tastes amazing, but I don't eat it because too much work. There's a guy who caught them in really clean waters, put them in a tub for 2 days and filleted the fish and he took out all the bones in meat! so the fish was in 2 inch strips,he adds flower to them and deep fries them or slow pan fry them, Most amazing fish you will ever taste. google how to take out the bones from carp. And cook that carp with onions and tomatoes. Or if your lazy like me , fillet the fish take the black meat out and grind the fish and mix with flower,eggs,bazil,onion,salt and pepper. Makes some great fish patties. Of course if you catch a carp from clean water. In oregon it's hard to find carp in clean water.

M
martin s.
Hey mcfishin, from what I read, Off members have you covered in the bait category, I'm a little skeptical with you using 6# test and a trout rod. Carp are excellent fighters and can be finicky. On the great lakes they have a sport fishery for carp on the flats, kind of like bone fishing in florida. you may want to ponder about steping up to a salmon rod and 12 to 15 # test. I've broken a lot of gear on the mighty carp, a ten # carp can fight like a salmon. Good luck.

W
Willerman
Caught one and got spooled by a 10lb + yesterday on my LW rod, just messing around with corn. This was 6lb test. I tried my hardest to turn her around but as soon as I was nearing the end of my line, she ran me into a tree stump or something. Tons of fun, and corn on the bottom worked for me. small hook tied to the mainline with a few split shots. I would recommend going up with your line though.

M
martin s.
VERY COOL... carp re so much fun...

B
bubs
Hey mcfishin,

Sorry I'm joining the conversation a bite late here. I see you're in Hillsboro - me too. I've been killing the carp the last few days in the Tualatin right here in Hillsboro on Carolina rigged nightcrawlers. When the bite is on I'm landing 5+ per hour. Carp jumping left and right..pretty cool. Best time of day has been 4-7PM at this spot at least, the morning bite hasn't been great, I'm assuming because the water temp is still a bit low? But that seems to pick up in the summer.

B
bubs
oh wow, I didn't realize how late I actually was to this conversation...but still..Carp. Tualatin. Yeah!

W
Willerman
bubs said:
oh wow, I didn't realize how late I actually was to this conversation...but still..Carp. Tualatin. Yeah!

Shoot I didn't see that either! Oh well, here is a pic of one I caught yesterday using corn. I actually gave it to a guy who said he uses them to make soup; I told him I would love to try it, but just out of curiosity!:yikes:

• fishy.jpg
E
espencer757
Oh oh, here we go again. Many a carp thread on this site goes into a marathon stretch discussing the "will eat it, won't eat it". Please, if you are willing to try it, do so. And then please give your honest opinion. I've tried it, I like it. That does not mean everyone will, but, just because some fish eat from the bottom does not mean they taste like garbage.

E
espencer757
Just be very careful when you clean it and do not hit (or even Nick) the bile sack. At that point, it's garbage.

W
Willerman
Oh, I'm very open when it comes to tasting foods! The idea of fish and soup kinda just irks me - idk why. I would love to try it one of these days, though.