No C & R after catching your limit law

M
mgdguy
Saw this topic come up on another thread, and was wondering what everyone's opinions were regarding it being illegal to catch and release after catching your limit.

Seems stupid to me. How is keeping the limit-minus-one and then fishing the rest of the day different than limiting out, then fishing the rest of the day? :think:

M
Markcanby
Because if you have 4 fish an hook one deep you can keep it an be done! I you have 5 already an hook one deep what are you going to do with it?

troutdude
troutdude
It is all based on whether you keep (retain) the fish in your possession. If, for example, the limit is 5 fish and you keep 5; then the law says that you must stop fishing. Not even catch and release is allowed, once you have kept fish #5.

If you only keep 4 fish, then you can continue to fish all day long (as long as you don't keep a 5th fish).

It's on page 8 in the reg book. (item #14 under General Statewide Regulations)

M
mgdguy
Markcanby said:
Because if you have 4 fish an hook one deep you can keep it an be done! I you have 5 already an hook one deep what are you going to do with it?

Same thing you do with natives - cut the hook?

troutdude
troutdude
Markcanby said:

Exactly. Then you have 6 fish, which is illegal.

troutdude
troutdude
mgdguy said:
Same thing you do with natives - cut the hook?

I'd hate to see you get a ticket. You may want to take a look at the reg's. What you said there is illegal, if you already have kept fish #5.

M
mgdguy
troutdude said:
I'd hate to see you get a ticket. You may want to take a look at the reg's. What you said there is illegal, if you already have kept fish #5.

I think you're missing my point. I'm not questioning the legality of it or stating I practice it. I'm wondering what the opinions of OFFers on the logic of the law is.

I understand it's illegal.

M
Markcanby
Well if you want my opinion I say its a good law. Yeah I get your point on cutting the hook but think about the rest of people you see at the bank. Are they going top be as careful as you are? Also Trout are week little thing I have caught some in the lip I thought I wasn't going to able to revive. Not like Bass that I have caught on Rapalas with all 3 barbs on both hooks stuck in there mouth,gills,eyes an everywhere else an they are fine.

G
Growbug
yurp, law is sound, and imho good one.
Fish all day, keep em as you wish to, but, when you have 4 in the bag, then you KNOW that you are safe to keep one that is deep hooked, played out or otherwise shouldn't be put back in.

troutdude
troutdude
mgdguy said:
I think you're missing my point. I'm not questioning the legality of it or stating I practice it. I'm wondering what the opinions of OFFers on the logic of the law is.

I understand it's illegal.

OK. Understood.

N
nwkiller
what, if you are in a lake where you catch your limit of trout but then want to fish for perch or something and are using a similiar rig?

F
Finneus Polebender
Depends on the speciesbass/ trout/steelhead can be caught and released usually without much harm or impact salmon can be a different story . If an angler overworks then miss handles a fish it may as well have been kept will prob not sucsessfully make spawn run. So if said type angler has 2 fish limit and keeps only one so they can catch as many fish as possible till the end of the day in reality there is likely more damage done to the future run than if the angler keeps the first two legal fish. This is also why I personally have a hard time understanding the practice of allowing coho gear to be run in the siuslaw when there are no hatchery coho and the natives cannot be kept your basically stressing/killing many native fish in hopes of an occasional wrong way feldman! I personally think less damage would be done if they let you keep one native or hatchery w/no catch and release. The only prob there is not many want the trip to be over in 15 minutes so I do see the other side !

M
markasd
good law...

T
Thuggin4Life
Ok so here is some food for thought. so i fish cougar reservoir and get my five fish and quit. instead of going home i go fish the south fork of the mckenzie which is c&r anyways. whats the difference between keeping five and continuing to fish c&r in cougar? all of which are the same body of water. not saying i do this just an example.

M
Markcanby
I think it comes down to the type of people you are going to find on a C&R river. I dont worry about you Thuggin or Mgd its the guy on the bank with powerbait an the string of dead trout floating away from his fishing spot. I have seen this before up at Harriet.

T
troutmasta
Bass can be realeased all day even after they swallow 2 trebele hooks. In my experiance crappie and bass jigs are totaly different and usualy in different parts of the lake, so I thinks it fine to switch species. If Im fishn for trout I always stop keepin after a few just cause I know thatll give me some time before I gut hook to more and have to bonk em'. Then I leave. I think Its a good law in respect of the limits emposed on the speicies of fish targeted.

F
Finneus Polebender
Markcanby said:
I think it comes down to the type of people you are going to find on a C&R river. I dont worry about you Thuggin or Mgd its the guy on the bank with powerbait an the string of dead trout floating away from his fishing spot. I have seen this before up at Harriet.

Big difference between bait and a barbless lure for sure. Guess thats what makes the difference between those who care and those who just wish to avoid a ticket.

F
fishnquest
nwkiller said:
what, if you are in a lake where you catch your limit of trout but then want to fish for perch or something and are using a similiar rig?

Its a good law and there were some points well made on this tread. If you want to do that, just keep yourself under the limit. Everything else is just going to sound like an excuse.

N
nwkiller
i agree with the law, i think it keeps joe shmoe from anialating the fishing spot

M
mgdguy
Ok, it's a good law for trout. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

How about the rule as applied to steelhead and salmon fishing on the local rivers? Same opinion or different?