Nitrile gloves

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
Do any of you use the NITRILE gloves while handling bait ? If so , have you had increased catch rates ? I mean VERY noticeable increases in fish landed / hooked ?

M
metalfisher76
FISHHEADMAFIA said:
Do any of you use the NITRILE gloves while handling bait ? If so , have you had increased catch rates ? I mean VERY noticeable increases in fish landed / hooked ?

Gloves can help a lot of people. Those who smoke for instance. Pets and gas are other big ones. I just make sure I use them before and during curing. Then wash my hands after petting the cat, before I leave it is the last thing I do.
My brother smokes, last year we were fishing right next to each other using the same exact eggs that I cure up. In 2 mornings, 6hrs of fishing I caught 3 coho and 2 fallies. The second morning we had 2 other friends with us, that smoked. All 3 scoffed when I brought up the smoke factor, but they sure were baffled why I got all the bites.

M
Mike123
I wear them for two reasons.. Scent and I hate having pink hands.
Those chemicals used to cure eggs will "cure" your hands.. dry and crack them out. I wash my hands a lot with Lemon Joy... that changed my bite ratio.
I think most of it is how the eggs are handled before and during curing.

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
Mike123 said:
I wear them for two reasons.. Scent and I hate having pink hands.
Those chemicals used to cure eggs will "cure" your hands.. dry and crack them out. I wash my hands a lot with Lemon Joy... that changed my bite ratio.
I think most of it is how the eggs are handled before and during curing.

Right , lemon joy . I carry a small container with me while on the water . The stuff is overlooked . We used it to scrub out the fish holds and swab down the deck when I was commercial fishing .

M
metalmania
I always where gloves when using bait for salmon. Steelhead seem to be less turned off by things like human scent, smoke etc. but I still try and keep as scent free as possiable. Gloves are fairly cheap and are worth the money. Plus your hands won't get stained pink and get all sticky from your eggs. Like was said washing your hands and gear in lemon joy and wearing gloves will definitly increase your odds of hooking up a salmon, especially chinook.

A
Airs98
Nitrile or latex?

Nitrile or latex?

Does it make any difference if latex gloves are used???

I guess I am asking because all those gloves may have a some kind of associated "chemical" smell from the manufacturing process and stuff. Is it a good idea to wash hands again in Lemon Joy after putting on a fresh pair of gloves?

M
metalmania
Airs98 said:
Does it make any difference if latex gloves are used???

I guess I am asking because all those gloves may have a some kind of associated "chemical" smell from the manufacturing process and stuff. Is it a good idea to wash hands again in Lemon Joy after putting on a fresh pair of gloves?

Nope it makes no difference. After I put them on I rub my hands in the water for a second, but I don't wash them with lemon joy.

D
davep
always

always

Always use them for salmon...my catch rate rate is drasticly better

J
joesnuffy
I've heard of people using Lemon Joy but is it biodregadable? Don't want to throw any more toxins into the water then need be.

J
JeannaJigs
I use nitrile gloves because I don't want that nastyness on my hands...and it doubles as a scent control. I'd use latex if that's all I had, but I get nitrile gloves for the price of free from work :) Nitrile gloves don't have the rubber odor that latex gloves have tho..so I'm sure in that aspect...they're better.

M
metalmania
joesnuffy said:
I've heard of people using Lemon Joy but is it biodregadable? Don't want to throw any more toxins into the water then need be.

I've started using noors lemon scented soap instead of lemon joy when i'm on the water. It's safe for the water and works just as well as lemon joy.

L
luv2fish
i can vouch for both situations.....me being a modern fishing guy... since i'm only fishing since past 5-6 years ...anyhoo i'll go with my seasoned fishing freind...and i'll use extreme precautions sometimes.....wearing gloves is one of them ( sometimes though)...but i haven't seen that i got fish and he doesn't.....infact its vice versa....i'll be dealing with my skunk wheres he'll be the one taggin fish....and yes he smokes as well......but i believe the thing is that he's been fishing since a kid..and he's 42 now and his consistency or the natural "nick" to catch fish has not gone down...atleast when i fish with him....but yes few things he avoids when handling bait is ...gas..if we are in boat and he has to hook tube in other gas reserve..he'll wear gloves or wash his hands like 500 times and rub fish scent...

other than that...i have never seen anybody scoring just cuz they are wearing gloves...i do believe that any scent can be annoying or pleasing to salmon but overall i believe with the environment getting nasty day by day ..the fish will get use to it anyways...not any particular kind of scent but to ignore things in general... cuz i don see a way that these fish can be untouched by any of our fuel source... be it a boat on water... some residue from exhaust goes in water... not rite away but yes it does......

i personally am too lazy....i have heard not to rub wax on your line cuz it has animal fat..but i still keep a t-lite candle...small one and when i'm float fishing i do use it to prevent my line from sinking...and actually one of my biggest fish was hooked on a 30# mono just drenched with wax... cuz the weight of line was making it sink faster.

I am not in any way debating and overlooking the use of wearing gloves but like i said i just keep fishing easy and really don go to exteremes...if i hook its fun..if not ..hey i have a reason to get out another day.

G
GreenDrifter
Ive never worn gloves once in my life and we kill a lot of fish!

J
joesnuffy
I also have never worn gloves, except winter snow gloves over here in E.O. Steelheading gets chilly in Feb. :p

B
BobberDown
glove do make a difrance i where thm from the time i remove the eggs from the fish to the time i fish them that way you get no human oder at all i dont know on useing any kind of lemon soap my thoght is it smells like somthing that is not naturall to there envirment no lemons in the river last i checked not to say it does not work and your hands are always putting out sent unless you are wsing your hands every 2 or 3 minets let say you wash your hands right now im a few minets as little as2 or 3 or as long as 20 your hands have pors that let out swetand human oils thatyour body is alway producing glove are about the best way to go i did chach a lot over fish befor i used them to but after i started to use them i did start to chach more fish
on the latex is all i can say for my self i just dont like the latexoder and thay tend to dry out your hands and make them crack and that makes ithard to tie knots i hope this helps
thanks Dan Cox

M
Mike123
Salmon crave latex... I use Smelly Jelly's new latex/anise scent.
ooops... shouldn't have let go of that secret. :lol:

F
Fishtopher
Does anyone notice the gloves seem to make your fingers freeze faster than if you werent wearing any in colder weather?

M
Mike123
Fishtopher said:
Does anyone notice the gloves seem to make your fingers freeze faster than if you werent wearing any in colder weather?

Holy crap YES! Buy the XL size or biggest you can find and put them over your wool gloves. Problem solved. Usually when it's REALLLY cold, I just bait up then take them off.

G
GoneFishin2134
I was always told to wear gloves, and keep scent off everything, including lures and Even my Waders. so, Yes wear gloves. Use powder free gloves too.

K
Kodiak
Gloves make a huge difference with critters like chinook. They can litterally smell the level of testosterone in your blood stream just by what you touch...and it's a major deterant. I like nitrile because they are much tougher than latex.