Nightfishing with submersible light

Aervax
Aervax
I have a submersible green light we used fishing for crappie and stripers on Lake Powell. I want to give Northern Pike Minnow a try. Those who seem to be in the know say they bite best at night. First, feedback on technique for pike minnow would be a huge help. Second, after reading the regs I did not see anything in there about using floating surface lights or submersible lights for night fishing. It looks like they are legal as long as you are not fishing for trout, salmon or steelhead because you cannot legally fish for them at night. Call me paranoid, but being new to fishing in Oregon I wanted to check with the forum for feedback. Anyone out there using submersible lights for night fishing, or do you know if they are legal here? Thanks all of you for sharing your insights and your stories!

F
fish4life
I use them for crappie on the Snake river, as long as you fishing for pikeminnow it should,nt be a problem. If you ar worried about it call fish and game. Good luck.

Aervax
Aervax
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I called ODFW like you suggested. They don't know. They are going to find out and call me back. WT#?

H
halibuthitman
I don't believe you can fish the Columbia river at night period.. for anything.

Aervax
Aervax
I heard back from ODFW with a message on my cell today. They confirmed that fishing for Pikeminnow on the Columbia at night is legal. It is also legal to use lighted lures while doing so. The question about a submersible light was not answered directly. Though I am pretty sure it is legal, I will clarify that final point with the biologist that called.

T
Tinker
I'd be mighty sure about it before I used your light. If not all fishing, then fishing for game fish species is restricted to daylight hours. Since fishing is reducing or attempting to reduce a fish to possession, and those lamps attract all species, I'd shy away from even trying it.

Using those lights is like chumming. The light causes the bait fish to group up in the light which then brings in the larger fish. Where's the fun in that? Unless you have starving children to feed, then work for it, dude!

J
Jackiefishing77
Most people who fish know what lights do two fish. And to compare Chum to sub lights is a ridiculous statement!!! Most game fish steer clear of light, I've never heard anybody say hey you see that big Sunny spot over there cast there that's where the fish are at. The man was just asking some questions about northern pikeminnow, and you chimed in with some BS I'm about lights and Chum and starving children and about working for it dude there's a bounty on these fish there's a bounty for a reason you should be giving out information on how to catch them not deterring people from fishing forum or using methods to catch them! Where's the fun in that, it sounds to me like your fun comes from being a know-it-all bully. Work at cutting out your BS DUDE!!!!! The light creates curiosity not a feeding frenzy 🤫🙊👎👄

Reactions: Rvrdnkee, Aervax and SparkyofSoCal
D
DonF
Hard to believe they have a problem answering a question. Reading their reg's I find a chore! No idea where they got all that stuff and seem's a lot is more for confussion than anything else!