Night time rockfish!

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
My son, my friend, and I went out for an evening rockfish trip on Friday 7/16 in a local bay. The tide was high at 6:30 and I expected to crush them. This wasn’t the case, we caught a few copper rockfish that we released unharmed, but no others. On the bright side, we caught a nice 28” green lingcod on a herring.
When the tide started to push out hard we moved up the bay to a protected area. Immediately my son started catching greenling. Then after is got dark, the rockfish started biting. Nothing big but we sifted through the little guys a found a few. All in all, we kept 1 lingcod, 3 kelp greenling, and 9 black rockfish.

• 4F3BB196-1CA5-4BD2-AA64-F2302CC84616.jpeg
  • 7CE601AB-0F6B-4916-B065-57D5EFBDC69A.jpeg
Reactions: plumbertom and Admin
Admin
Admin
What a happy kid.

plumbertom
plumbertom
That looks like a pretty fair catch.
No doubt the boy was happy.
These days even my grand sons are adults so sharing those thrills are long gone.
The grand son that lives with me has no interest in fishing any longer, all he wants to do is video games day and night, and the grand son who loves to fish lives in SoCal.

I have to ask what you do for lighting at night in that drift boat?
I have some clamp on lights for my jon boat, but it seems like every time I want to use them they are either battery dead or have to have the battery contacts cleaned.
I'm giving thought to installing permanently affixed lights at least on the bow and a removable pole light for the white run/anchor light.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
plumbertom said:
That looks like a pretty fair catch.
No doubt the boy was happy.
These days even my grand sons are adults so sharing those thrills are long gone.
The grand son that lives with me has no interest in fishing any longer, all he wants to do is video games day and night, and the grand son who loves to fish lives in SoCal.

I have to ask what you do for lighting at night in that drift boat?
I have some clamp on lights for my jon boat, but it seems like every time I want to use them they are either battery dead or have to have the battery contacts cleaned.
I'm giving thought to installing permanently affixed lights at least on the bow and a removable pole light for the white run/anchor light.
I just have the clamp on lights also. You are correct, they eat batteries! I keep a pack or two in the dry box all the time. I keep threatening to install permanent lights and a bow mount led running light.

I have tried very hard to get my son addicted to the outdoors while at the same time allowing him to have the video games and tv. It’s a delicate balance, I’m just trying my best to make the outdoors more fun!

Reactions: plumbertom