Nice weather yesterday on Coos Bay.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Sunny and bright with a light breeze for most of morning/mid afternoon.
Too bad we couldn't get the fish to cooperate. Never got a bite all the time we were out.
None of our favorite spots produced nor any of the tries at new locations.
The crab were pretty much hit or miss.
I can't recall pulling as many empty traps as we did yesterday.
We also pulled traps with a lot of crabs in them, it's just that they were just a hair undersized or most of the larger crab were females.
So we harvested 12 legal males, no really big ones, over 4 hours with 6 pots using chicken for bait.
The ones I cleaned were all hard shelled.
Not bad crabbing, although we usually do better, and easily enough to have a meal of fresh crab when I got home and still have plenty for a couple of meals of my second favorite crab dish Etouffee over rice. The just cooked fresh crab itself being my favorite.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Etouffee over Rice.....I'll be googling that one in a sec. I'm always looking for new ways to eat crab.

Thanks for reporting. How were the swells? I like to set my pots just outside the jetty in the direction of Baltimore Rock. We went for lingcod a couple weeks ago and only got 4 crab in one pull on the way in but they were very hard and decent sized. Brought home fish from Simpson though so we and a few other families ate fresh fish.

Last edited:
Reactions: plumbertom
G
Gulfstream
Better than staying home!

Reactions: plumbertom
plumbertom
plumbertom
They bay was flat. a little ripple when the gusts came up.
My boat is too small to get outside. much as I'd like to.
But being a prudent (cowardly) mariner, I'm not about to risk it even if the bar looks flat.