Newport jetty report 4/5/2009 (with questions)

L
lechner
I spent around 7 hours out on the south jetty yesterday and returned with a half dozen large redrock crabs, a single surf perch, and a tan. The sunny weather and smallish swells brought out a ton of fishermen and it seems like everyone had roughly the same luck with the majority of people hooking up with a fish or two (greenlings and perch) but rarely more. All in all, a very fun but not particularly productive trip.

The perch, a ~ 1.5# striper, was caught using a pretied 20# mono surf leader consisting of size 2 bait hooks, live sand shrimp, and a 1.5 oz sand dollar weight. I found her in the channel-side below the improvised memorial (due north of the ocean beach.) My technique involves casting out a ways, reeling in the initial slack, and using my left hand to very slowly pull the rig toward shore while feeling for bites or rocks. I've found this helps prevent getting caught in the rocks and crabs from stealing my bait (which is a big problem if you are simply plunking.) Most of the bites I had were much closer to the rocks than I was expecting and occurred during the incoming tide shortly after low slack.

The crabs were caught on a heavy surf rig with a jaw style trap and chicken drum sticks. It seems like crabbing is starting to pick up steam and I must have snared at least a dozen large dungeoness which were unfortunately female and had to be thrown back. While on the rocks, I witnessed a crabbing charter dump bucket after bucket of crabs close to the north jetty and I angrily shook my fist at them for increasing my odds of catching undesirable crustaceans.

Now for a few questions:

• My attempt at filleting the perch ended very poorly and I was disappointed by the thin, mangled steaks I produced. Afterward, I found some articles online that suggested perch should be scaled, gutted, and cooked whole (either on the grill or steamed.) While I'm certainly not opposed to chowing down on something that can still look at me from behind lifeless eyes, I was wondering if this online advice sounds right or is there a special technique that I'm missing?
  • The south jetty in Newport is always a good time for me, even in the crappiest of weather and ocean conditions. But I think it might suffer from too much fishing pressure due to the easy access and prominence as a landmark. The north jetty seems to receive less attention because of the 1 mile hike and occasionally hazardous waves, and so I would expect the fishing to be better. Aside from spawning lings which stay put in a nest for a few weeks, is this reasoning sound or do the resident fish wander back and forth between the jetties as they wish, resulting in an equal opportunity from either jetty?
  • I've heard rumors of a "secret" spot around Depoe bay where, on days when the ocean is calm, one can follow a small trail out to a shelf of rocks that overlook a deep, turbulent pool which is home to an abundance of ling cod. On the way to Newport, I pulled out into a scenic overloop and, while I discovered a few places that one could fish, I couldn't find a spot matching the description I was given. Has anyone heard of this magical shelf or is it as mythical as unicorns?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
J
joeyota
You have to have a sharp knife for sure. As for how you use it, well it takes practice. I will go catch bluegill and fillet them. Good practice and tasty little morsels. I still have a hard time with the big rock fish. I don't sharpen knifes so well.

As for finding that perfect spot to fish, Good luck.

F
fourgotten
lechner said:
Now for a few questions:

• My attempt at filleting the perch ended very poorly and I was disappointed by the thin, mangled steaks I produced. Afterward, I found some articles online that suggested perch should be scaled, gutted, and cooked whole (either on the grill or steamed.) While I'm certainly not opposed to chowing down on something that can still look at me from behind lifeless eyes, I was wondering if this online advice sounds right or is there a special technique that I'm missing?
  • The south jetty in Newport is always a good time for me, even in the crappiest of weather and ocean conditions. But I think it might suffer from too much fishing pressure due to the easy access and prominence as a landmark. The north jetty seems to receive less attention because of the 1 mile hike and occasionally hazardous waves, and so I would expect the fishing to be better. Aside from spawning lings which stay put in a nest for a few weeks, is this reasoning sound or do the resident fish wander back and forth between the jetties as they wish, resulting in an equal opportunity from either jetty?
  • I've heard rumors of a "secret" spot around Depoe bay where, on days when the ocean is calm, one can follow a small trail out to a shelf of rocks that overlook a deep, turbulent pool which is home to an abundance of ling cod. On the way to Newport, I pulled out into a scenic overloop and, while I discovered a few places that one could fish, I couldn't find a spot matching the description I was given. Has anyone heard of this magical shelf or is it as mythical as unicorns?

Thanks in advance!

Filleting: Sharp knife (I actually prefer an electric... WOW what a difference... I know... pansy maneuver, but it REALLY works well!!!) and go right through the ribs... leave 'em in at least until the fillet are skinned. Though, I do like whole fish as well...

Jetty choice: I had the same thought... though after seeing some waves spew 30 feet above the jetty today, I decided that I'd pass on fishing that jetty for a while.

Mystical fishin' spot:... I don't burn any spots but I'd happily meet you at that one that your map suggested sometime and show you the spot that I know of that's nearby... though it's not QUITE as full of lingcod as you might have been lead to believe... or at least, I haven't caught 'em... :( Then again... I'm not a master saltwater fisherman, either... so... who knows... :D

I'm also kinda scared of heights... especially heights over crashing, pounding, grindy waves that just BARELY cover smashy, bone-crunchy rocks... so... maybe that has something to do with it... *snicker*

L
lechner
Great tips all around, thanks! Perch really are a deceptively tough fish but I think I'll just throw future catches on the grill in one piece until I can get a chance to discombobulate some bluegills :)

Plunkme PM'd me details on the Depoe cliffs. You can tell this spot is pretty gnarly even from the satellite imagery and that frothy water looks about as mean as the ling cod rumored to live in that hellhole. Heights have been known to give me the willies, too, but I'm willing to give this a shot provided the ocean is calm.

We really should schedule an OFF surf fishing expedition. Any interest?

B
BigBear
What a great site! My first post and I am really excited to find a place to share and learn more.

I also would like to know about this spot in Depoe Bay. A chance to catch some nice ling's would be great.

Fished the south jetty today for a couple hours on the incoming tide, no luck. I didn't have any bait so I was just using the curly tails. It was really windy.

After getting skunked at the jetty I stopped by Big Creek Res. Just to get my fix. Cought a couple small stocker's. But even that was slow.

BB

L
lechner
BigBear said:
What a great site! My first post and I am really excited to find a place to share and learn more.

I also would like to know about this spot in Depoe Bay. A chance to catch some nice ling's would be great.

Fished the south jetty today for a couple hours on the incoming tide, no luck. I didn't have any bait so I was just using the curly tails. It was really windy.

After getting skunked at the jetty I stopped by Big Creek Res. Just to get my fix. Cought a couple small stocker's. But even that was slow.

BB

Welcome to OFF, the friendliest and most helpful fishing forum on the web!

Glad you didn't go home empty handed. You're very fortunate to be living in Newport with so many great fishing opportunities both in the salt and rivers. The rogue brewpub is also never a bad time :)

I'll message you the details I have on the Depoe cliffs. Let us know if you make it out there.

M
mosd
hmm looks like a place of interest... might have to do that for a change of scenery from fishing the lakes and streams around here with no luck..

F
fourgotten
lechner said:
Plunkme PM'd me details on the Depoe cliffs. You can tell this spot is pretty gnarly even from the satellite imagery and that frothy water looks about as mean as the ling cod rumored to live in that hellhole. Heights have been known to give me the willies, too, but I'm willing to give this a shot provided the ocean is calm.

We really should schedule an OFF surf fishing expedition. Any interest?

It's prolly the same spot, then...

I'd be up for an expedition... not like I have anything ELSE to do...

M
mosd
gonna probly hit one of the bays this weekend for perch and get the crab pots wet as well

F
fourgotten
mosd said:
gonna probly hit one of the bays this weekend for perch and get the crab pots wet as well

I'd come join ya, but I have a class to teach in the mornings... :(

L
lechner
I'd be down as well except I'm going to Seattle for the weekend. I might be free next weekend though.

F
fourgotten
I'd be up for next weekend as well...

B
Bass Ackwards
I used fish off the cliffs in depot bay on the right side if your lookin towards the ocean and caught quite a few rockfish and greenlings never any lincod though. This comming weekend I have a time share at wyndam at the very north of depot bay and i am goin to try some fishing off the rocks there. I'll let you know how I do. Hopefully, I can find that sweet spot you guys are talkin about. I usually use frozen herring. Maybe ill try some sand shrimp but they alway come off too easy.

F
fish_4_all
I fillet perch the same way, cut through the ribs and take the whole thing until I can clean it. I take the rib cage off before skinning though so that is different but probably doesn't matter much.

Fish close to the rocks is the way to go. A majority of fish are caught here within 20 feet of the rocks. Lose a bunch of gear but I don't use anything expensive so well worth a plate full of sea bass and greenling.

If you want to catch a bunch of Kelp green ling, fish right in the rocks. Poke pole for them or just jig up and down until you find a deep hole right in the rocks. Have caught them up to 2 pounds this way and always catch a ton. I do it this way:
1-2 inch piece of pencil lead rigged sliding style above a swivel
4-5 inch leader with a size 4 hook
Put on a half a sand shrimp and be patient
Can take a little while for them to start hitting, usually about an hour after low tide but once they do you can catch a lot in the same hole. Little ones to start with but they usually get bigger as the tide comes up.