Newport jetty fishing

I
IdahoNative
I've got a friend that wants me to take him to Newport for jetty fishing. I have only ever been out to the north jetty in Garibaldi. We're students at OSU, so Newport is significantly closer than Garibaldi. Where do people jetty fish in Newport? Also, where do people pump sand shrimp at? We typically pump them right by the coast guard station in Garibaldi, but I have no idea about Newport.

Thanks in advance!

C_Run
C_Run
I have some limited experience there. On the south jetty on the inside below the 101 bridge are some rock structures that stick out into the channel. I think there are three altogether and you can spot them easily at low tide. I have fished them from a kayak and also from the jetty. There are lingcod, rockfish, and perch around there. That's about all I know. I've seen people fishing both inside and outside the south jetty all up and down the jetty. I have not tried for sand shrimp there but if you drive up the bay road toward Toledo at low tide, there are some big mudflats you can walk out on and I would think they would be about right for sand shrimp.

Reactions: IdahoNative
I
IdahoNative
Thanks for the rely. hopefully we can check it out this weekend!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
good info, I was there last week, visiting beer HQ and SBSP, and I noticed those sunken wing-dams, you can see them here in the Google Maps image. sounds like I should take my i11s next time and give it a go.

hope you guys find some fish!

Newport jetty fishing

S
Slo
LOL...I was just going to post that same pic. If you look close, there are several of those wing dams, some are a little shorter than others. I've done well, at times, throwing soft baits (curly tails, bass worms, grubs, etc) on 3/8 to 1/2 oz jig heads, along them. I've caught kelp greenling, rock bass, cabezon, lings, and flounder around them. If the soft baits aren't working, try fresh squid or shrimp. And if it's slow....you've got the whole jetty. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ikijime
J
JonahT
My friend and I have gone to the Newport south jetty three times now, around 35 hours spent total on the jetty itself. We've used swim baits, fake sand worms, live sand shrimp, squid, and fermented sand shrimp. 2 ounce weights, 1 ounce weights. All kinds of hook sizes. We've gone to the end of the Jetty, the very base, and all around the middle. Not once have I had a single nibble, bite, catch, or anything. What is the problem? We cast far, we cast short... But no fish to be seen. We cast by the seals, the sea lions, the pelicans, all the techniques. What are we missing? Is it the time of day, the time of year? Please help. I know it's called fishing, not catching, but I've lost all motivation.

4labs
4labs
Newport jetty fishing

Putting in the time and cost of fuel I wish you had some success. The time of yr and weather make or brake you on jetty's. I personally don't fish them and mainly fish off the rocks and can't tell you how many times I've struck out.
Early in the yr around May the male lings move in to spawn then they usually leave and the females stay with the nest. (that's wrong the male stays with the nest).

The blacks move in and out it seems with the weather. They wont hang around with a nasty sea and get beat up by a swell.
Look for a week of 2-3ft swells and they will move back in. The anchovies and other bait fish have a lot to do with it also. Theirs little in the winter so mid summer can be good but if theres a crab spawn on the blacks wont be around and will be out to sea.

I'm a firm believer in Berkley swim bait in herring. Lots of flash and if there's anything there it will get hit. Cast a few times in one area and move on if nothing hits it. A school of blacks move around a lot and also will be on the surface feeding. I've chased blacks on the surface for over a mile at times.
Remember almost everything is on the bottom. You have to feel the bottom and then jig up. 65lb braid and 30lb leader, bottom fish aren't line shy.
Hang in there it will happen.

Last edited:
J
JonahT
Thank you, I really appreciate it! It is so frustrating, but you've got me hoping again. We've been using 65lb braid and 20 pound fluoro, but I'll grab some 30 just in case. Are there any other spots you would recommend trying that aren't on the jetty?

F
fish4life
Also make sure you are not casting out really far, the fish are in the rocks, if you cast out too far you will be past the rocks and in the sand. I like to use a rig with a 2 ounce weight on a fish finder rig with #2 or #4 baitholder pretied snells, sandshrimp for bait tied on with magic thread. I prefer fishing Barview jetty and have had more success there.

J
JonahT
Has anyone tried the Siuslaw jetty?

A
Anotherdude
We've caught some striped perch last weekend with sand shrimp, saw some sea bass caught and another guy with a 26" ling using a live sea trout as bait. All from Newport Jetty and it seems high incoming tide is the best time

Personally I prefer Barview Jetty. Last time i was there we caught 2 sea trout a, 4 red tailed perch, and 2 black Sea bass. I don't like the structure of the Newport Jetty as much as Barview either. Red tail caught with Sand Worms, all rock fish caught with Sand shrimp.

B
BrandonBeach
I only fish incoming tides. At the start of the tide and and the latter part of the tide toward high slack and just after. When the tide is running “fast” during mid incoming tide, usually take a break, eat lunch etc...

That being said, there are days that are just dead or just little fish biting. Ocean fishing, go figure...

G
gfisher2003
I've been trying to convince my parents to let me go out on a jetty and fish but they are worried that it's not safe what would y'all advise is a jetty that my parents would be most comfortable with? hopefully somewhere near Newport/Waldport

Thanks!

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Good Ol' Newport Jetty in Central Oregon is a great place to fish!