Newport/Depo Bay fishing???

T
troutmasta
Recently my girlfriend and I traveled south on 101. Out on the jetty new port I saw quite a few people with some sort of sea bass on stringers. I had my ugly stick and some light tackle. I was given permission for one hour of fishing so I ran down to this little tackle shop and bought one dozen sand shrimp. Using a balsa float and a 3 foot leader I got one bite almost instantly but couldnt set the hook. My alotted hour was ending and with the rain starting was reluctant to keep fishing and slip on those rocks. I did manage to get pinched (HARD) :shock:by a sand shrimp. My questions are: Are sand shrimp the best to use? If so whats the best way to hook them? High tide or Low tide? And is newport the place to be? I want to go out some time soon and devote a whole day to it. Dont care what kind of fish I catch just want to have a fun day on the water. Can anyone help me???

D
Dichrofisher
I like to fish for Greenling at that jetty. I buy a special sand shrimp hook that looks like a safety pin on a hook and that helps keep them on. I dont use a float but rather a pyramid weight below a 2 foot leader via a three point swivel (or else the crabs eat your shrimp off the bottom.) The Greenling have a light pickup but fight very nicely and fillet into a very nice chunk of meat. I have heard that clams stay on the hook better but those sandshrimp get a lot of bites.

T
troutmasta
Thanks for the response. How big are greenlings? I look forward to giving it a shot.

T
troutmasta
My 1st thread!

Well she's now my wife.

How big are greenlings? :lol:I was clueless. Thanks forum:clap:.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
troutmasta said:
My 1st thread!

Well she's now my wife.

How big are greenlings? :lol:I was clueless. Thanks forum:clap:.
:dance::D:clap::lol:

J
jesse202505
Have you tried fishing boiler point I've hooked plenty of lincod and sea bass there

T
troutmasta
No but Ive wanted a place to fish from the rocks. Is that near Boiler bay or whatever its called.?

J
jesse202505
Yes. And its off the rocks. There is a viewpoint called boiler point I believe and its a few miles past Lincoln city heading towards Newport. Its on the right. Just park and walk along the Fence and you will see a opening under the fence where ppl pass under. And your there. Be real careful with the waves they are sneeky. Always keep your eyes on the ocean.

B
Berg03
I fish newport jetty at least twice a month. I never use bait though. I act like im bass fishing. Cast a senko or any plastic worm out and wait 4 seconds give a nice twitch and the tide does most of the work. Catch a lot of black sea bass and the occasional ling cod. Caught a few huge lings when i put on a swimbait. During slack tide i like to use rapalas and cast them close to the rocks. Works good. Any time of the year is good out there.

J
jesse202505
Octopus works best And stays on your hook for along time.