Newport Bay help

T
Troutier Bassier
Hey everyone,
I plan on going to newport bay tomorrow. Can someone give me a basic runthrough on what fish there are there and what baits?? I want to make my first oceanic expirience a good one.

Thanks!:D

A
Amberjack
Are you fishing a boat or jetties? If jetties you may want to stop in to Harry's bait and tackle, on the bay front he is caddy corner to our shop and next door to the Barge Inn . Talk with Randy, he should ne able to help you out.

brandon4455
brandon4455
theres surfperch/tons of rockfish,lincod ,flounder and many more. use soft plastics . its almost like using plastics for bass but they a 3 times bigger. xD or sandshrimp if you just want to use bait. thats what i would do.

T
Troutier Bassier
It was a lot of fun. I didn't get much input from here. I used sandshrimp and caught 2 small Lingcod, a cabezon, and a few sea trout. Good day :) Going back tomorrow

brandon4455
brandon4455
awesome :D good luck george

B
BobbiDollPDX
Troutier Bassier said:
It was a lot of fun. I didn't get much input from here. I used sandshrimp and caught 2 small Lingcod, a cabezon, and a few sea trout. Good day :) Going back tomorrow

Next time, take those sea trout and run your hook from under their mouth up through their snout and put em back in. You can catch some monster ling that way.

D
Drew9870
Newport Bay is one of my favorite places to fish, I usually fish the first three finger jetties (jetties coming off the main jetty), and catch loads of tiny Greenling (Sea Trout), once in awhile a keeper Lindcod or Cabezon, and sometimes you can find various Perch around certain structure. Lot's of Crabs, I almost caught a keeper looking size Dungeness last month.

In the Summer time, I like to bounce Bass jigs in the holes at the edges of the finger jetties, those Rockfish are extremely territorial, last Summer, I watched a Canary Rockfish attack my jig right as I was about to yank it out of the water for a new cast, I released it, I avoid keeping anything orange just so I don't have to worry about misidentifying it.

Here's what you want, they only run like $1.50-$2, even better when tipped with your choice of curly tail grub, white seems to be most natural to the ocean fish.

strike-king2.jpg

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
If you are buying your Sandshrimp, I'd recommend you make a Shrimp Pump, the cost for bait for these two trips would be enough for the materials to make one, and you can harvest more than you know what to do with in about an hour once you start getting the hang of it. Fold your Shrimp in half, and wrap a little with Magic Thread or the clear rubbery string, then place it on the back of your hook and wrap away from top to bottom, tie it off with about 4 half hitches.

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
Thanks Drew, that was really informative. :) Yeah I'm gonna be fishing the finger jettys. Hopefully the rain isn't bad!

A
Amberjack
BobbiDollPDX said:
Next time, take those sea trout and run your hook from under their mouth up through their snout and put em back in. You can catch some monster ling that way.

This never works, sea trout are trash fish and ling cod will not eat it. dammit Bobbi quit given secrets away !!!

B
BobbiDollPDX
Amberjack said:
This never works, sea trout are trash fish and ling cod will not eat it. dammit Bobbi quit given secrets away !!!

No one ever listens to me on here, it's all good.

I could give away the sweetest honey hole on the planet and no one would go there.

35.gif

J
juggernaut506
BobbiDollPDX said:

Greenling make great lingcod bait! Just don't get caught. Usually if I hook a small fish in the ocean I lower it back down hoping a bigger fish will hitch hike up.

B
BobbiDollPDX
juggernaut506 said:
Greenling make great lingcod bait! Just don't get caught. Usually if I hook a small fish in the ocean I lower it back down hoping a bigger fish will hitch hike up.

Page 9, 2011 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations.
Live non-game fish may be used in the ocean, bays and tidewaters when take from the waterbody in which they will be used.

J
juggernaut506
BobbiDollPDX said:
Page 9, 2011 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations.
Live non-game fish may be used in the ocean, bays and tidewaters when take from the waterbody in which they will be used.

Page 102. Greenling are a game fish with a minimum legal length of 10 inches to keep.

D
daehleets
hit a low tide next the hatfield center, pump some sandshrimp and if the weathers good take them out to the fingers on the south jetty at dusk and kill the bass!

T
Troutier Bassier
Bass? All I caught was Sea bass and A few Cabezon.

C
chris61182
juggernaut506 said:
Page 102. Greenling are a game fish with a minimum legal length of 10 inches to keep.

I think you may have misread that, I believe that says groundfish. You'll also find them on page 12 listed as food fish.

J
juggernaut506
chris61182 said:
I think you may have misread that, I believe that says groundfish. You'll also find them on page 12 listed as food fish.

If you can use greenling as live bait then you'd be able to use lingcod, cabezon, and perch as live bait also since they're all listed in the same group.

J
juggernaut506
I may be wrong but it doesn't seem like you'd be able to use a fish that is protected by a size limit and a retention limit as live bait.

J
juggernaut506
It's also great fishing for black rockfish if you go to Seal Rock at low tide and collect a whole bunch of mussels for bait then take them out to the Newport jetties at night with a lantern. There's a few holes in the jetty where you can drop your bait straight down into the rocks and catch a half dozen black rockfish also.