Newport area steelhead?

S
steelhead_slayer
i'm going up to newport with the family at the end of the april. i want to get away one morning with my fly pole. can someone please share somewhere close i can target something? as a second option i have a spinning set up too. thank you:pray:

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Only river in that 'area' that will have a steelhead in it will be the Siletz, if you have all day I would research the Siletz gorge, some of the prettiest water you'll find. Good luck.

troutdude
troutdude
I'm not 100% positive; but I'm pretty sure that you'll be too late for Winters, and too early for summers.

Maybe someone else will have better news.

R
RunWithSasquatch
It will be more or less in between runs, but there will be steelhead in the Siletz at that time, its always worth a shot.

S
steelhead_slayer
thank you guys. that helps. at first i thought i'd be there at the end of this month. that's what got me set on steelhead. siletz sound worth a try. as long as i'm out fishing it's a good day. and i did get to research it a little today. if end of april is a good time for salmon or something else over there that was great too. thanks again

J
juggernaut506
Big Elk Creek

R
RunWithSasquatch
There are springs in the Siletz, but nothing to target, there arent many. There are some incedental hookups every spring though, so hold tight. If you did happen to make it this month the Big Elk would have been a good option too, but will be completely dead in April. April you can pick up summers and winter nates in the Siletz, go above moonshine park.

J
juggernaut506
April is a pretty good time for lingcod off the jetty.

R
RunWithSasquatch
juggernaut506 said:
April is a pretty good time for lingcod off the jetty.

Thats always fun/exciting

B
Bucknasty
Its never a bad time to try for steelhead in the siletz!! Like runwithsasquatch said from moonshine park up through the gorge is where i would focus my efforts if i was only going to fish for one day. If you find yourself with two days to fish i would do at least a couple of hrs hitting the river below town in search of early summers or big boy native late winters! Cheers, Bob

S
steelhead_slayer
as much as i love using my fly pole. the closer the better so jetty fishing is a good suggestion. thanks. i read a couple post about it on here, but haven't done it since i was a little kid. maybe i can try both

B
bernduffy
You could also try for some good sized trout in nearby Toledo's Ollala Lake. (Not Ollalie) No motors allowed.

troutdude
troutdude
Agreed. Ollala Reservoir, is one of my favorites.

However, I'm pretty sure you CAN have electric motors; just NO gas ones.

To be sure, you can contact the City of Toledo's Public Works Department and they can tell you yes or no.

B
BobbiDollPDX
troutdude said:
Agreed. Ollala Reservoir, is one of my favorites.

However, I'm pretty sure you CAN have electric motors; just NO gas ones.

To be sure, you can contact the City of Toledo's Public Works Department and they can tell you yes or no.

Definite yes on electric motors. I fished there quite a bit last year. Love that lake!