Newport and Tillamook, Oregon fishing

F
fisherman1o1
I was wondering if anyone had some advice on fishing/crabbing from the jetties at Barview (near Tillamook) and Newport (Yaquina Bay)? I was gonna go there this spring and Im not very experienced with jetty fishing (i.e what setup I would need to succesfully fish there.) I appreciate any helpful input.

D
Drew9870
The only rig I use for bait is a three way swivel with about 7 inches of 15-25lb leader coming off the middle ring of the swivel, and a size 1/0 silver Mustad Circle/Egg hook (pack of 50 for like $5 at Wholesale), the leader coming from the bottom eye of the swivel should be anywhere from 20 inches to 6ft (I'll get to this), your weight should always be a pyramid weight and I like to use a 3oz this time of year if you plan on not walking far out on the jetty. You will thank yourself if you pick up a couple tubes of rubbery magic thread, the thread stuff works, but the clear rubber stuff can be purchased in a clear dispenser and is hassle free, if it locks up, just shake it up and down, Shrimp only last about 2-3 bites max most of the time, the thread helps it last until you catch a fish or two, fold the shrimp in half and wrap it down a few times, then just wrap it head/tail down on the back of your hook (I probably go a bit overboard on wrap, lol), check out my thread in the Saltwater Fishing section 'How to make a Shrimp Pump' it will pay for itself the first couple uses.

Your leader depends on how you fish, you will want to fish really close to the jetty, so a short weight leader is your best bet, your bait must stay off the bottom, Crabs will make short work of it, you want your hook a foot off the bottom, and think about the angle of your line once casted, your rig won't be standing straight up unless your standing off the finger jetties. Longer leaders are for surf casting long distances, or casting far off the jetty. If you are wanting nice size Lings and Cabezon, I'd use heaver leader than what I recommended, lol.

Bass gear and methods work also, like soft plastics (Swimbaits, Grubs, Worms, and Crayfish), and the jigs I posted a pic of in Troutier Bassier's thread.

Last edited:
G
galvatron1984
I'm new to pier/jetty fishing as well, and I hooked into a nice ling in newport using pretty much the same rig, except I was using a few bass casting sinkers in leu of a pyramid and a fat nightcrawler for bait

N
n8r1
Has anybody ever tried using a sculpin for live bait when targeting Lings? Any success?

J
jrundstrom
Good question. I've used sculpin but caught nothing...I've always wondered, "Is it me?" Maybe there is a way to fish these things so that they'll work? They're so easy to catch they'd make the perfect bait if they did work.

S
slabjig
n8r1 said:
Has anybody ever tried using a sculpin for live bait when targeting Lings? Any success?
Lings seems to have a preference for things without spines....like kelp greenling. While they will take bait with pointy fins (I've caught some on a rockfish), they definitely think greenling are candy. There's a reason they're called staghorn sculpin, ever take a close look at those head spines on a sculpin.....would you want that stuck in your throat.

J
jrundstrom
Yep, you're right- like needles... I found out by the Braille method. Rubber jigs do work so I guess I'll stick with them.

N
n8r1
slabjig said:
Lings seems to have a preference for things without spines....like kelp greenling. While they will take bait with pointy fins (I've caught some on a rockfish), they definitely think greenling are candy. There's a reason they're called staghorn sculpin, ever take a close look at those head spines on a sculpin.....would you want that stuck in your throat.

Thanks--the reason that I ask is that sculpin are so incredibly easy to catch, you could easily get a couple dozen in 30 minutes and have plenty of live bait for the rest of the day. That's why I was wondering if they were effective or not.